eater fish??

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Double L, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I have been reading the post of catch and release of big fish and keeping the eating size only, what do You consider a eater size??

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Under 10 lbs=Eater. In my book, anyway.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    10-15 lb fish. Depends if they are skinny or kinda heavy. I figure the older fish got lots of toxic metal and chemicals stored up in their bodies.

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Yep, 10 lbs and under is eater size fish..

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I think it depends on the fishery. I would have no problem keeping 10 lb fish here in the Mississippi River but down at Truman or LOZ I wouldn't keep anything over 5. Thats just me though. I don't really keep fish but some of the guys I fish with like to keep some. I think selective harvest is a good thing but every body of water is different.

6. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :crazy: Yeah I said it "usually like to eat bluegill, crappie, walleye, or wipers."

I might eat catfish 5 catfish a year under 5 pounds, rest go back unless someone else wants a mess. But I eat fish at :cool2:least once every 10 days so yes I do eat fish.:smile2::tounge_out:

7. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anything under 5 is what I do. If I caught a big one like some shown in the varios avatars I would let go as the older fish do have various toxins in their meat and some have parasites depending where they are caught. Conservation has a list that tells you how much fish to eat from certain areas in the state (page 43 of the fising regulations). This usually is a good indication of what type of fish you are dealing with.

8. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree under 10 pounds is a good eater.

9. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
  10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
  11. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Agree with StL Catman - depends upon the fishery; however, my rule of thumb is that if it is >=10lbs it swims again.:big_smile:

12. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    we ususallly throw back everything unless I know it is going to the grease right away. We had a bennifit fish fry a few weeks ago so some got froze for that but I knew when they would get cooked. Don't want any just sitting in the freezer around here. 15 and over usually always goes back but deffinitly over 20 swims again. I think the biggest we kept for the fry was 18 and that one almost went back.

13. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    I pretty much just catch channel cats, so it depends on if I have enough at the house for a fish fry.

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Depends on the species. 6 or 7# on channels, 15-20# on blues, and I have no problem letting a flathead grow to a good harvest size of 25-30# :crazy:. Jump my ass if you want to, but I think flats need to grow a bit before ya kill 'em. I don't think a 10# flat is even big enough to spawn. Nothing wrong with letting them spawn for a few years IMO.