eat those silver carp!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by pikerhoss, Apr 27, 2009.

1. pikerhoss

pikerhoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    well, I caught a silver in the mouth! And after a good fight with 8lb test on a 10lb fish I went to leave it. My wife felt bad for the big ole fish to just die, so she talked me into taking it home. I fileted it and baked a large hunk. It was great!! better than catfish and bluegill!! If ya'll get one while your out, remember they ain't to be thrown back...so EAT IT!!

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah...I think I'll pass :eek:oooh:

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use em for cut bait. I live on the Mo river and them things is public enemy No1. That Blue in my avatar 74lbs on cut bighead. I use em for cutbait and trot line bait. Had both blues and flats slam it. Now every bighead or silver I get goes home gets filleted and cut into 2 inch cubes or 2 by 8 inch strips. Big cats seem to love it.:smile2:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Compliments of the friggen Chinese bro... lol- Bon'Apetete!

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The only thing those are good for is fish bait. The blue in my avitar was caught on cut asian last aug 30th 80 plus pounds. In my opinion open season on them stupid things.

Tom

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    They need to open season on them..(Fire Arm season) they are a lot more fun to shoot then blue rocks.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds yummy ! :dribble:

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    The meat is pure white. They eat nothing but pkanton. I use the them for bait too. The slime is thick. I might try it one day. But then again I fish for meat not for pleasure. I release for future generations and the ones I know don't taste good. In my opinion if you don't eat fish you are just a misguided torturer for your own self pleasure. I pray for every small fish that it might return for a meal someday. I pray for every big fish beyond tasting good that it has lived a good life and will continue to be released. OK I don't actually pray that every time but you non fish eaters should just quit fishing in my opinion. OK I said it out loud. If you don't like to eat fish you are not a true fisherman. And where do you target fish. Ok this makes a difference. I would not eat a fish out of the Wabash in Lafayette or South for that matter. I eat fish out of the White North of Indy. Why... because I feel like they're healthy and i watch the reports. It also depends on the life span and how long they were in the river. I like to eat fish period. The ones you buy in the market don't always come from some imaginary farm that's pollutant free.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana

10. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

yeah thats pretty much my response too...:tounge_out:

11. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Release the fish and deer into your pond so you can tease them and never enjoy what they are intended for

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hum? lol

piker what did you season that thing with? wasn't it bony?

13. pikerhoss

pikerhoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    Man, you people think I'm joking or crazy! :smile2:
    I went out yesterday in hopes of finding another one! (all I got was a Grinnel and I aint ready for that yet!) And yes they make good cut bait....at least the bowfin liked it. It amazes me that a stigma gets attached to something for no real reason. All I did was filet it, lemon/pepper, butter and bake it. I called my parents while I was eating it to fill them in on my culinary experiment. I even made my non-fish eater wife sniff it so she could give me her opinion. Honest to God, the least smelly fish I've ever prepared.

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't eat the fish I catch...just not crazy about eating fish...I am crazy about fishING and no, I'm not gonna' stop Rairdog! LOL!

The reason those carp are in the our rivers is because they do taste good! They were escapies (sp?) from fish farms back in those big Mississippi & Missouri river floods back in the '90's. Also, the asian culture apparently has this thing about going to the fish market & purchasing live fish. They buy 2 -- one to eat & one to release back into the wild...that cultural tradition has also added to the species spread.

Nice catch piker! I'm glad you enjoyed dinner...catch as many as you can & eat 'em all!!!!

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rairdog? I've release a few fish in my pond before, But I ain't got no deer in there.... lol

16. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont eat fish... But i love setting that big ol' 8/0 gamma circle in their mouth and making sure its in there nice and tight... then i toy with them for a few mins and then I bring them up the bank and I STAB the heck out of them!!!! Then release them back in to the water... Ok enough about Turtles, I love catching cats.. Channel, Blues, Flatheads, bullheads, i dont care as long as its a catfish. But flatheads are like gold to me... I even kiss them on the head right before I release them.. Its for good luck.. I love them ol' flatheads!!

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I say baptize them in oil, and let the good Lord figure out the rest.

18. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love going fishing for cats but if i want to eat fish i go for bass bluegill crappie :smile2:

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

How is it the Chinese fault they are here? They did not release them here. The were brought here to control vegetation and spill out into midwest rivers.

So it so be more like.........Compliments of those southern fish farmers.

I'm sure those algae eaters are more clean and better tasting than scum sucking channel cats.:wink:

20. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    well i am with rairdog,And Boomer i eat what i catch if dont some one else willl or they will just die some day yea i let the big ones go.....Ol the flat head the bigger the better eaten you get..... nice and white meat it real good... its been catch and eat for more year's then everyone on here has been alive .... so i am just carrie on the steps of life