easy way to remove shad scales from rods

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 18, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always fish with fresh shad, and as you know they can be very messy.

I cant even tell what color my rods are any more from the scales.

Does any one know of a easy way to remover them, other than picking them off one at a time, which would take me weeks:big_smile:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Butter, that's right, slap on some butter on your rods. Who cares if you wont be able to hold it... you cant catch anything anyways! :)

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lmao when he's right he's right:smile2:Fish On

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Got me there Jack. I myself usually have a tiny bucket of water and rinse my hands off after touchin them. I also wipe down my rods with a wet rag before I leave the water. It don't get it all off but my rods stay pretty clean.

Oh..I once tried waxing the rods too and it didnt do anything for me.

5. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I spray mine down with something like ArmorAll cleaner and let it sit a bit and then wipe them with a wet rag or spray with a hose.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Take them to the car wash. When I leave from a messy fishing trip, I leave my poles on the side cabinets of my boat so I can take it to the car wash. After a few times of doing this I decided to spray my poles off at the same time. The first thing I noticed when I got home was they were covered with shad scales on one side only. LOL Now I blast them off and flip them over to do the other side as well. They come right off with pressure..

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Using Purple Magic which can be bought from auto zone. Works great an cleans rod instantly an shines.

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just spray my rods down with the hose after trips to the river and I use Guitar polish on my rods in the wintertime

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    just tell people you bought a special rod with snake skin on it:wink:

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That was cold Bryan.I take my r&r to the car was alot of times after I fish and spray them off with low pressure it cleans them up real well.Helps with the mud and sand to if you bank fish.

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm really liking the car wash idea. Thanks to you guys that suggested that

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if you have a barrel then soak them in water and as the scales soften up they will fall off.....just take off the reels so u dont get the grease out of your gears to slick away

13. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Everyone who's fished with me knows my answer to this problem because i get so much sh%$ (pun intended) about it :roll_eyes:...... Babywipes! Unscented. They're cheap and keep the rod handles (and your hands too) from getting too slippery & soaking up an excess of slime & scent. Though i'm sure the cashiers at Family Dollar probably wonder what the hell i feed my newborn to need so many:smile2:.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I usually clean my rods after a few times fishing with dawn dishsoap in a small bowl of water and a scotch bright pad . Makes them look new for me and gets everything off the rods , scales , stinkbait , etc .

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    SHAD HAVE SCALES?!?!?!:wink:

16. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the shad scales, guts, and mud on my rods and reels give them thier character :wink:.

17. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: that's right

18. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I stick'em out the rear slider of my wife's truck from inside the cab. Something about putting them that way makes all the funk fall of in the back seat. When I get home, I can put them back in the boat and keep my carpet clean.

19. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well said

20. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    mild soap and and one of those things you use in the shower to remove dead skin,damn,can't think of the name of them.

or sandpaper.............