Easy way to get free worms.

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by dirt138, Oct 1, 2007.

1. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Okay I just couldn't wait to share this one. I was doing some cleaning around the house and I was left with a 5 gallon bucket of water with liquid dish soap in it. I took out back and dumped it next to my porch in the grass and was talking to the neighbor when all of the sudden a minute or two later a whole mess of big worms came flying out of the ground. Now me being me I filled the bucket up at the hose and dumped it next to the other spot only to find no worms. Then I thought perhaps it was the dish soap. Yep it's the dish soap!!! The more suds the better. You just dump it on the ground and wait. I have found that the largest concetrations were under my grape vines so I suppose if you had fruit trees or something that would work great too. Long story short about 10 buckets of soapy water and 30 minutes and I am now the proud owner of more than 4 dozen of the finest worms pennsylvania has to offer. Give it a try it's amazing.

2. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The question is do they stay alive after getting them up this way. They may, I don't know. I mix one oz. of lime sulphur in a gallon of water. You just pour a little where the worms are and they come to the surface. It forms a gas in their tunnels they can't stand. They also stay alive for months if you provide them with dirt, moisture and food. Regardless, sounds like you've got a good spot to find them whichever method you use.

3. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I am not sure about how long they will live. I have a spare worm box that I have not been using that I put them in. I will give everyone an update on how well they last.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Thanks for the tip Rodger. :wink:

5. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey, thanks for the tip Rodger. I have a good many worms in the woods behind my house, but with the drought in South Carolina I havent been able to find any. But I sure will give it a try. Maybe this will help until we get more rain.:embarassed:

6. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    if you happed to be able to get your hands on some mining belt i know a similar trick that works great... same method except cover the ground with the belt where you dump the water with soap and they stay surfaced a little longer ... im sure you could use some other type of cover for on the ground, but usually get a few more worms this way