Easy way to find crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman849, Oct 11, 2006.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I stumbled upon this helpful bit of information while looking for redworms the other day in a dry creekbed. Crawdads while dig holes under rocks in a creek bed and stay there even when its been dry for weeks! They are really easy to find all it takes is lifting up a couple rocks and digging in the holes. I found about 5-6 of them in a 10ft area. I have tried this in multiple creeks and it never fails even when the creek is dry the crawdads are still there. Hope this helps its an easy way to get some free bait.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you can also fool them if you have a 20 oz bottle of water poor it in the hole and they will come out without digging

3. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Ive seen 2 different ways and they both appaer to be preference 1.( Hooking through the head) 2. (hooking through the tail) any recomendations?

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the tail for me

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Thanks For The Craw Tips, Haven't Tried Those

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks guys for the tips:smile2:

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :lol:

"MUDBUGS"!!!!

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely have to try that next summer when the local creeks dry up.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the tip.never tried that before.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wonderful post very useful info.My friend told me where I could get some but was warned if I got caught it would be a huge fine.I'm not too far from a refuge.You talk about huge Bucks these dudes are big but absolutely no hunting unless the Wardens want some does harvested then they will personally take you where they want you and ya best not move.Unless you want some trouble on your hands. Anyway back to the crawdads they're thick up there but once again they are protected no touching!!! I use to live in Castaic California Home of MONSTER BASS they use craws to catch the Bass and it showed in a picture that they have rubberbands around their bodies and slide the hook securely beneath the band.I personally never tried it but out there I guess is one of their tricks.:smile2:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats cool Ben, I never woulda thought to look for them there. It just goes to show you never know on a given day what you might discover.

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks a lot

i was devastated when this bitty creek that you could jump over dried and all of the huge chubs were lost. I guess maybe the giant crawdads arent yet. That creek was the spot to get big bait...

13. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    That's great info ... Thanks!

14. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    the way i know to use them bass fishing is you hook them through the tail and pinch off the claws. and thanks for the tips i havt been able to find any in a loong time

15. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    When you use crawdads as bait though i've found that you will catch anything, bass bream cats they all love em so if your after cats id use the biggest crawdads you can find to keep the bream of em.

16. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I have a friend that would catch them for food by laying a net out in a ditch,or shallow stream and saftey pin a drumstick in the middle of the net.He said he would pull up the net after an hour or so and thier would be crawdads all over taking turns on the drumstick.He said they would set abunch of nets and by that night they would have enough to boil-up for dinner.I have a tore up castnet that I'm gonna try this with this spring.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben I appreciate the tips. This proves I'm not to old to learn. YET. Thanks

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the great tip .Always wondered what happened to them once the water dried up.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the tips, I cant seem to find crawdads.

20. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    when we was kids we would take a piece of string and tie a piece of bacon on the end and drop it down in the hole and when you feel the crawfish clamp down on the piece of bacon you could ease him out of the hole.