Easy way to bait/chum for blue gills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by kyleco55, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ok guys, recently ive noticed some people are having problems finding big schools of bluegills. heres what i do in the hot summer months!

Find you some private property, or secluded public property with an overhanging tree, or dock, or anything going over the water. Tie a raw piece of meat (chicken, livers, beef, pork.. they aint picky) to some string, and let it sit a few feet above the water level. if fishing a river, make sure you get it up high enough a flood wont take it away. let it just sit there for days or weeks. once the meat starts rotting, the flies will be ALL OVER it. these flies will lay maggots directly on the meat, and alot of them will fall right into the water below. after a few days, this area should be swarmed with bluegills, just sitting and waiting on that next easy meal to fall in the water. now, just take you an ultra light pole, with the smallest hook you can find. i dont use any weight, or a bobber, just a hook. bait the hook with some a fat lil bee moth, and throw it out under your tree.. this works great, ive caught up to 100 bluegills with this method, in about an hour!

ALSO, if you use this method in the same spot over and over, its also a good place to try at some cats.. you dont think all them gills are stacked up in that hole, and a big ole flathead dont know anything about it do you??

i hope this helps someone out, its really helped me over the years!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    forgot to add... to those of you that keep fish and fillet them, or hunters out there, the carcus that you would usually throw away is also a good piece of meat to tie onto the string! road kill would work too, just stink a bit more when you try to tie it on..lol

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately if you do this where there are gators it will not work..Its actually how you catch and trap a gator almost the same way..It does work great though..Its a good technique for attracting gills..

4. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    yeah, i could see that about the gators.. guess fishing mainly in indiana, i didnt really think about that.. better tie it higher..lol

one other thing, you gotta make sure the string you tie it to is kinda long.. if not, the coons will get the bait instead

5. bassmanatcs

bassmanatcs New Member

State:
    Junction City, Kansas

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!