Easy to make no-roll sinkers....

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Aug 28, 2009.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Take your egg sinkers, put a panel nail or some other stout wire in the hole, lay them on concrete, and use a hammer to make'em FLAT! 3lb mini sledge does really well! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

You can also economize and use the same hammer to make flat bank sinkers! LOL

(Can you tell that I have too many egg sinkers laying around?)

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've done it but I seem to get the nail suck to much and end up killing 1/2 of them, LOL. I've oiled them and everything but not enough luck to mess with it.

Whats the trick then ? I do pour my own egg sinkers so I just remelt them but still..its a pain.

-Jim-

3. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Make sure the nail isn't one of the grooved ones... Need to have a smooth shank on it. I can usually pull them out with pliers, sometimes a light tap on something knocks it loose. One of these days I'll break down and buy a mold. Maybe when I run out of egg sinkers (or when I smash the crap out of a finger or something).

4. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    so whats this no roll stuff i keep hearing about? whats wrong with an egg sinker? what does flattening it help?

5. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When you use a flat sinker in heavy current it stays on the bottom better than a round one!

Randy

6. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If you find yourself in a situation where you need to fish cross current no rolls or pyramid sinkers are nice

Bill.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a smoothe coathanger works pretty good

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jasn thier name tells the story ,they don,t roll on the bottom like a egg sinker will ,same amount of weight in a no roll will hold better than an egg sinker :cool2:

9. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    There is also what's called a "Almond Sinker" it is just like a NO-ROLL. Only difference is it's a bit oval shaped as to where the NO-ROLL is flat. The Almond also works vary well in fast moving water. So if any of you can't find NO-ROLL try the Almond sinkers. They are vary close and work the same as a NO-ROLL.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I might have to try that. I was going to buy some no rolls. But I have over 60 lbs of eggs at the house. So I might as well try it once or twice.

11. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Hey guy's if your going to flaten them. Try using soap on the shank of the wire or nail. push them thou a bar of cheap bath soap before running them thou the sinker. A old guy that use to pour his own sinkers use to do that to all his wires before pouring. He said it made the wires come out easier. Not sure if it would work in this case but it
    would be worth a try.

12. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Mmmm.... I think that I'd get a BIG hammer and weld a BIG thick plate onto it, that way to can smash in quantity. LOL.