Easy to make bank rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Vonroc, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Bank Rod Holders

Items used; 4’ steel rod 3/8 dia
    1 ½ PVC conduit
    Roll of furnace tape
    1 ¾ Bolt and nut
    Grinder optional

I measure fishing pole rod handle and cut PVC to length. Drill hole at bottom of PVC to and insert bolt to keep reel seat above PVC. The rod I use is actual old cable TV and phone service ground rod used years ago. I clean these with a wire brush attached to grinder. At one end of the rod I grind it to a point – this will be the end put in the ground. These rod can be painted with rust prove paint. I use furnace tape to attach rod to PVC, this actual holds very well. I apply the tape from top to bottom of the PVC.I have used these for about 2 years now they hold up well. They can easily be forced into the ground or rocky bank using a stone to drive them in if necessary. I’m using 7’ to 8’ rods 25lb test line Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. If you use these hooks you’ll know they set themselves. Just sit back and wait until your pole bends over and reel in fish. At night a bell works well to alert you of fish on. I’ve made a hand full of these all different PVC lengths to match all my different sized rod handles.
    No flatheads where I fish and 20 pounders are unheard of. With that being said they work perfectly. Larger fish 20, 30, 40 pounds these might not be suitable.

Attached Files:

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Just an added note to these. These rod were used in grounding for lightning, they are a cooper clad steel rod. This adds to strength and they have alot of spring to them and don't bend easily.