Easy Snow Tracking

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Paraguayguy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love hunting in the snow. We seldon get that opportuninty in VA. We has a 13 inch snow Sat 19th that was still hanging around Christmas Eve. I went to my Brother's place and the hunt began. I was using my Encore with a 300 whisper barrel. That round is a wildcat round developed by JD Jones as a sniper round for our military snipers for close in work assasinations. The military puts a silencer on their rifles and it makes zero noise and good for killing out to 200 yards. Thompson Center's Custom Shop will make that caliber for about $30 more than the cost of a standard caliber, you just have to wait a month or so to get your barrel. I do a lot of suburban hunting where noise is an issue and this baby makes no noise.

Basically its a shortened .223 bullet that has been necked out to accept 30 caliber bullets. It has zero recoil and makes about as much noise as a 22 long rifle with no silencer but clips along at 2400 feet per second. I haven't been happy with the bullets from Corbon, (the only commercial shells available) so I bought some ballistic tip bullets bullets and a buddy reloaded 50 for me. So far I have shot 5 deer this year with that round. Encore one shot kills. This doe was 150 yards. I sight in at 100 yds so I aimed a little high. At the shot, she fell down and took off like crazy. My shot hit her exactly where I aimed so very little difference between 100 and 150 yards. She was a double lung shot. Ran out of sight 100 yards? I stayed in the tree and shot a small 4 point buck through the heart at 30 yards. If you look, you can see the exit hole near the rifle barrel. He ran 10 yards and fell down dead. I dragged him to the tractor trail and went to get the doe. She had made it 200 yards from where I shot her. The blood trail was easy to follow. I love my Whisper and I love hunting in the snow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    congratulations! The snow really makes tracking easy.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice,Kenneth. I think a blind man could follow that blood trail.:smile2:

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Nice shooting! Throw on a silencer and it's like bowhunting from 200 yards!:smile2:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice work Ken. Like reload said, Ray Charles can follow a trail like that. Encore is one sweet rifle.

6. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice big doe ,Yummy!

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good going Kenneth. Sounds like a good caliber for city hunting. I have been trying to find some hunting land here in Roanoke. There are some real nice deer close to the city and I've seen two bigggg bucks near Valley View Mall.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice bucks in Richmond and in Lynchburg. I normally would have left the 4 point alone but my buddy wanted two deer for an out of towner going back to NYC. I had my fingers crossed for a massive 12 point we have been watching all year. SOB went nocturnal on us in muzzle loader season.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Congratulations Ken; Looks like you have the key to in close hunting. Like you, we rarely have snow around here during season so it is a bonus to get to hunt like that.

10. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona