Easy Shad? Maybe too easy

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by GMC FishHauler, Feb 14, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i was down at local boat dock today just lookin around when i noticed some fish washed up on shore of the river. They were shad! i gathered up all that was there.

I noticed when i walked out to end of dock that there were several slowly swimming around. I reached into water and picked them up. Also there were several perch floating or "loligaging" around the area so i picked them up as well.

What would cause this? Anyone know if a cold front can put fish into shock?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like the typical winter shad kill - cold water will kill off quite a few, especially if it's colder than usual for longer than usual.

This would be a good time to be catfishing whereever you're finding those dead shad.... The cats will be gorging on the easy pickins raining down from above...

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    winter kill can be a gold mine, find a bank that either has current or wind blowing into it, especially if there is a pocket or bend, the dead shad/bait fish can end up bunched in that area. Even if you can't see them, then tend to bunch up on the bottom ... to a blue cat, its a buffet. :big_smile:

4. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i called the Dept of Parks and Wildlife this morning(just got off the phone)
    the suspect another bout of Golden Algea blooming in Lake Whitney. This would be a terrible thing since the lake still hasnt recovered from last one. They are reporting hundreds of thousands of dead shad in the Brazos around Lake Brazos in waco.
    I told them about the shad in the bosque river dying too (about 1 mile from where bosque flows into brazos) and they said they will have to investigate that. It doesnt make sense to have the fish dying in the bosque since lake waco is constantly trickling out good water.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The one thing about your orignal post that bothered me was the perch. Sure the weak or unhealthy perch can die off during winter but at least in Texas perch generally don't go thru winter kill like shad does. If it is a biological, micro bacteria type issue ... you may want to consider scouting new waters. It may take a while to have the full negative effect, but these things can ruin a body of water (fishing wise) for years if not decades. If it converts into an uncontrolled full on fish kill, I've heard of more than one body of water getting pretty much drained like they do for construction issues.

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    it might be even worse than i though before. I just went down there and collected some of the fish. Washed up on the dock was around 30 dead ones. 10 shad 13 perch 5 crappie (2 over 12" long) and 2 1lb bass
    i called p&w again and they r still looking into it.
    i also called the biology department of the local community college here in waco and they said they can try to do an autopsy but they dont know how much they can determine.

7. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Waco is probably some distance from Texas A&M Veterinary campus. A&M would have a state diagnostic laboratory that would be able to determine if the fish died of a bacterial or viral pathogen. They would need fresh samples of diseased fish in order to test properly.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Eeew... Definitely not a winter shad kill now...

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by notifying the proper agencies. Hopefully they can get a handle on the problem before it kills too many fish.

9. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    that sure is something to have looked into and thanks for doing the right thing and notifing ppl about it....but until they figure out what was going on in those waters i wouldnt be tring to use the ones you have in any other waters incase.or take them to your local dnr and let them see if they can figure out the cause or if there is something wrong with those waters

10. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i'm really starting to worry now. more dead bass and crappie. p&w are still investigating and now are taking specimens to different labs to find out whats goin on. they have also been out in boats taking water samples.

11. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, more dead shad and perch this morning. i called a local biologist and he said that it is more than likely a golden algea bloom from those few hot days last week. on the brite side of things, this cold front should have killed it all off. another good thing is that whitney pushed it out before it could decimate all the bait fish there, again.
    he also said that using this bait in other waters is perfectly fine that it will not infect them so i will be gathering shad and perch for this weekend

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok, that was my question. Is it safe to use as bait in other waters? They said it's OK, but I would at least feeze the bait before I used it.
    Hope you catch some Big Ones.

13. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i ran out of bait and now i found shad in lake waco that is alive and healthy so i have no need for the dead stuff on shore. A diver went down in the river and said that the bottom was covered in dead fish. We had several small cats 14" and under dead at the boat ramp in last couple days.

14. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well thats all good news for ya'll there....if it isnt harmfull to use then get all the bait you can....good luck out there this year

15. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    It sucks!
    all the fish in the river are dead including the catfish and aligator gar. I would think that if they are the toughest fish int he water.