Easy Rod Holders

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by comanchero, Feb 22, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It is that time of year where most of us starting working on projects for the coming catfishing season. I saw a number of good ideas for rod holders in the library and I thought I would share the one I made that works great on the shore and in the boat. I bought a couple of side mounts for my boat Atwood rod holders and mounted them on a 5 gallon bucket. It works great when you are fishing from the shore because the bucket comes in handy for hauling bait, tackle and other equipment. If it seems tippy when your heavy rods are in it just fill the bucket with water and it is immediately stable and will hold any size rod. I also use this setup in the boat when I want to fish sideways with the boat and need rod holders in a spot with no rod holder mounts. They cost a few bucks but they are worth it. Here is a picture:

Attached Files:

2. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Say that is a great idea you have there. I may also do that for shore and on my boat. Good job...

3. Gonzo_Joe

Gonzo_Joe New Member

State:
    Dowling Park, Florida
    That's a great idea! I've been trying to figure out a way to adapt some of those holders for shore use, and now I know how. Great thinkin' there bud!

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good idea, think I'll make one or two myself quick and easy I like that.

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Have you had any big fish hit with that rig? If so, does the bucket move at all when a fish hits?

6. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have caught some nice channels with this rig and have not had any problems with the bucket moving. I normally fill the bucket full of water once I am setup where I want to fish. It is pretty stable with the extra weight of the water. I always lock the rod in the holder with the rod lock on the end of the rod holder. If a fish is going to take it in the water he is going to have to take it bucket and all because the rod holder will not give up the rod and reel.

When I first started using this setup I was concerned about the bucket moving and I had a standard tent peg in the bucket with a short loop of line. I would loop the line around the bucket handle and tie it to the peg and anchor the peg in the ground next to the bucket. By the end of last season I stopped doing that because I never seemed to need the extra stability of the tent peg.

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's what I call them at least. You can get them at catfish connection (rod accessories section). If you're using an 8-10 foot rod be sure to get the larger ones. They come in 2 sizes. They're only about 2 bucks a pop and they are the best thing since sliced bread if you have something sturdy to anchor them. They're best on sand but I use them fishing on rocks too. They look kind of like car shocks with a straight base to hold them. Easy to pack 3 of them in your tackle bag but adds a little weght.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Good Idea........:) :)

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Good post Comanchero! I'll get this in the library tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Looks good, It seems a bit bulky though (the rod holder part)... Both ACATS and Tim Hagan have links through their site to a rod holder company called Bee Ready rod holders... they have one thats very similar to your set up for the bucket. I just got mine in (a 3 rod holder for the bucket) and i think the total cost was somewhere around $21 with shipping and if you order alot of them the shipping is still $6 per order... it seems REALLY sturdy. I'm sure Tim will come chime in on Bee Ready's too. maybe even a few other anglers who use them

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    great ideai . im starting on mine tomorrow.:thumbsup:

12. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use a similar setup and add a 5 gallon minnow bucket lid from Catfish Connection, about $2.65. You could use their 5 gallon minnow bucket insert also and be able to pull the bait up out of the water. Just add a bubble aerator and keep some nice baits in your bucket close at hand.

13. shawn_donna

shawn_donna New Member

State:
    rutherfordton nc
    look like it will work good thank

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    that is a great idea, thanks for the link

15. TNcat

TNcat New Member