Easy question I think. Wiring

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Clovis, May 29, 2009.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I have 3 batteries in my boat. 2 for trolling motor and one for everything else.
    The one for everything else has 2 pairs of wires off it. One set goes to the motor, and the other set I asume takes care of everything else (lights, depthfinders,...)

I am a bit concerned about running the battery down when night fishing with the lights on so my question is if I take the wires not to the motor and put them on one of the trolling motor batteries would everything be good?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Steve it should work fine but hook them to just one of your trolling batteries ,then check that everything still works ,it should

3. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    If the two trolling batteries are hooked together, they may now be 24 volt, depends if they are hooked parallel or in series. If 24 volt, not good for devices designed for 12 volt. Look and see if they are hooked together positive to positive or have a positive to negative. Positive to positive fine hook any 12 volt thing you want to to it, but if you have a positive to negative you are putting out 24 volts for your trolling motor.

4. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'd simply add another heavy duty deep cycle to run all the accessories separately. Some people use a bunch of expensive electronics to connect everything together to charge things while running and all that, but since I really don't travel far enough for my motor to do much battery charging, I prefer to keep my circuits separate with thier own batteries and just charge everything up good the day before a trip and as soon as I get back home. It works out real good for me and I don't have a lot of confusion if I need to track down a certain part of the wiring system.
    I have everything rigged to it's own separate ground.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have one word of advice on your lights. Never I say Never hook your
    spot light to your cranking battery. That big 500,000 candle power baby
    uses more battery than some motors can produce, so its just a matter of
    time before you hear a click, click, click when you try to crank up.