easy perch traps

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by fishstick, Feb 28, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well after some instructions from our old friend coach i have finished 2 easy to build perch traps. all it takes is a roll of plastic hardware cloth and 400 4" zipties. i built mine in about 2 hours each. they are alot sturdier that i thought they would be and the price for both traps was about $20. all the commercial traps that i looked at were anywhere from $30 up to $85 so these traps wont break the bank. i know that they're not too pretty but i dont think the perch will mind. the hardware cloth and zipties were bought at lowes. they each measure 18x18 inches. hope this ends my perch catching problems for the summer.

Attached Files:

2. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Billy,

How do they work?

I can't see the funnel, if there is one.

Tommy

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Not real sure- but looks like there is no funnele. Looks like to me the fish go into a opening on the bottom right side.

I need to build me a few myself.

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    ok guys, sorry the pictures didnt show the funnels but they're there. here's what i did. i made 2 tubes about 10 inches in diameter and about 5 inches long. i attached them on opposing sides of the trap and then cut out the sides of the trap where i attached the tubes for an entry. then i pinched the tubes on the inside of the trap like u would pinch the center of the end of a toilet paper tube and that made 2 small openings in each funnel. here's a couple of pics of what i'm talkin about with a clothes pin pinchin the tube on the end. but instead of a clothes pin i used a ziptie to close the center. this will give u 2 throats that have 2 small openings in each throat.

Attached Files:

5. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    I see said the blind man!

Thanks Billy!

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    like i said this is coach's design and i was just posting the end results. personally i was intimidated to build one before because of the throats. but these are simple to make and serve the purpose. one of these traps has 2 throats and i put 4 in the other one. the pinched throats have holes big enough for a little bigger perch to enter than the commercial jobs that i've seen. this is good for me cause i like to use perch about as big as your hand and cut them in half or maybe even 4 ths

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to check the regs for the state where you are setting the traps. I seem to remember something about the maximum throat size for a trap being 1 1/2" in Arkansas, but I sure wouldn't swear to it.

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'll check jerry and thanks---i dont remember seeing a limit on the throat sizes but i think that 4" is the largest perch allowed to be caught in traps.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    jerry, i checked at agfc and the throat size cant exceed 2" on perch traps. and any perch over 4" must be caught with hook and line.