Easy home made rod holders for pontoon

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 20, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I made these rod holders a few months ago for my pontoon. I got the idea from the BOC library. I just made a few adjustments to fit my boat. They work EXCELLENT! For all the supplies I payed approx 28 dollars including tax....there is no drilling all at all. The pipe stay attached with radiator hose clamps. All I have to do is tighten them down when I get ready to use them and put the "Y" connectors on for the rods to sit in (they blow out when I drive to and from the river if I leave them on). All the parts except the "Y" connectors are glued with PVC pipe glue. They "y" connectors can rotate 360 degrees since I dont glue them. Both peices took me less than an hour to make and the only tool I needed was a hack saw. You can use sand paper to smooth out the edges but I just scraped them on the ground and it worked fine:smile2:.

Attached Files:

2. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    looks great thanks for sharing :big_smile:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    great looking rod holders! Simple and effective. Thanks for sharing

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta love that PVC! lol :wink:

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    looks great thanks for sharing

6. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
  7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Looks good but do you think they can stand up to a big fish hitting hard? I had one yesterday that almost jerked the screws out of one of mine. And it has 4 screws down into plywood.
    Just thinking hate to see you have a big fish rip one off the boat and take a rod and reel with him.
    Pete

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Biggest fish I have had so far was the other night I got one that was around 9lbs. It was pulling the rod pretty good...the holders held without moving at all with those clamps I have on them....As for the big boys though, it's not tested true just yet:wink:.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Looks like a Great idea,, If, there's any chance of a big fish yanking the mounting out of shape,, you can always throw a bungee cord around the reel and hook both ends onto the crossbar or the mounting bar,, give you a few seconds more to grab your rig!!
    Most of the Flats I've encountered in the river, don't even yank my bank rod mounted poles off my little wire "crowsfeet",,,, a feisty channel might do it, especially ,, if you owe him Money!!! They seem to hit much harder...

10. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
  11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good idea Dameon. You might need to double up the hose clamps on both sides.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks good.... a job well done!

13. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Looks like another fine example of southern engineering :wink:

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah...Im starting to think the same...I also read where someone was talking about using muffler clamps instead...

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    that looks good man, good idea.