Easy fire starters

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Big B, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    No matches or lighter.
    Several years ago I was taught to keep some extra fine steel wool in the bottom of my flashlight under the spring. When you need to start a fire just stretch out some steel wool and touch it to the positive and negative ends of the battery and presto the steel wool will start burning. Be sure to have something ready to put on the steel wool it can burn fast.

Pine knot.
    When a pine tree dies the core of the tree retains the oils. The outside layers will just fall off a tree that has been dead for a while. The pine knot is hard and usually has a few knots on it. A few small pieces of this and you are good to go.

Pine pitch
    The pine pitch or sap has the same oils in it as the knot. Find a place on the tree that is leaking that sticky smelly stuff. Roll it into little balls and light.

Can and fuel
    You can use a can with some dirt in it and pour in a little coleman fuel or some other type of fuel. Just enough to moisten the dirt. A little bit goes a long way. Put your can in the fire ring and get your kindling ready.

Fritos.
    Fritos and other types of chips will get a fire started but are not the easiest thing to light.

Water proofing matches.
    There are many ways to water proof a match. I start out with strike anywhere matches. I will coat some with a thin layer of wax. The other thing I use is clear fingernail polish. Just coat the tip with either one of these. I use the wax in the winter because it will melt in the heat of summer.

2. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Newspaper log.
    First thing you need is newspaper. Roll the paper up as tight as you can and as big as you want. Now put some rubber bands on the paper to hold it together. Now wet the paper really well. set it in the sun and let dry. Remove the rubber bands and you have a newspaper log.

TP roll.
    Take a used toilet paper or paper towel roll and stuff it full of paper as tight as you can without busting the roll. Put them in a ziplock bag and use as needed. I was told that you can coat the paper and roll in wax but thats too much work for me.:smile2:

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    easy fire starters we use around here are to take old pine cones and tie about a six inch string to it then dunk it in melted wax. great use for old candle stubs. work well in the fireplace as well as getting the big BBQ smoker pit going.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Waterproofing matches is simply a way to keep them dry. A waterproof match safe will accomplish the same thing. Instead of buying one, make one out of one 12-gauge and one 20-gauge shell. Cut off the crimp end, and the smaller shell will slide tightly inside the larger, creating a watertight container that's great for matches.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Another fire starter, Take sawdust and put in coffee can. Soak it in Kerosene.
    You can keep it in the can or zip lock bag.. Put a little under you kindling and your good to go. You can make a fire anywhere with it...

6. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I like to use dryer lint works good for me

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    All great ideas I've read & most I've used. Here is just 1 more using items from around the house.

1. Take a piece of aluminum foil approx. a couple/3 in. sq.
    2. 1 cotton ball
    3. petroleum jelly

All ya do is coat the cotton ball w/ the petroleum jelly, and fold it up in the foil. The foil keeps things dry on wet ground. When ya unfold the foil to use the sides can be used as a wind break. It will usually hold an open flame for 45 min. to an hour depending on how much jelly ya use. This can be lit w/ flint & steel or spark box and such. My Zippo does the trick for me. I usually make up 8-10 & put em in a zip bag.

I think I covered it all, if not feel free to ask.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I remember a trick I learned as a boy that I had to use once after high school. Wild grape vine bark. Its the first wood to dry & makes good kindling. We couldnt get a fire started for the life of us and almost had to leave for town to get something to burn to start a fire when I remembered it on the last match.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    All of these fire starters are fine, and I'm as guilty of using them as anyone, but....

I've taught all of my buddies' children how to build a fire with one match, and whatever kindling they can find. It's a skill worth cultivating.

Now, if I could just learn how to do it with a stick and a string...:embarassed:

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i guess im lucky i bought 200 cans of sterno at an auction for 5 dollars.still need a match or lighter but no kindlin needed.

11. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use cotton balls covered in vasaline. They work real well in the rain. I use a flint steel to strike the fire. I am really interested in the fire compersion chambers.

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I was in boy scouts we used to use cattle droppings, find a pile out in a field that had dried out and use it or if everything was wet flip it over or break it apart to reveal some drier stuff. If you think about it all it is is chewed up dried grass plus a few extra bodily fluids. Potato chips also work well, they are already dry and soaked in oil.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i burn wood for heat, home and shop. i just buy the safelight firesquares. they burn for ten min and get even slightly damp wood burning. they are about $.13 each when ya get 144 for $9. i just take a few with me. no fuss no muss and light when wet. unless a survival suituation arose i like technology on this one. i have to light fires daily.

these will light charcoal too.
    these here.

http://www.rutland.com/FCH_html/50B_50C.html

14. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use either magnesium fire starters, or alcohol prep pads (last 10-30 seconds), or I made some fire starters out of egg cartons (non styrofoam type) that I put clean dryer lint in and then soaked with wax. Each egg shell portion of the egg carton will stay lit for about 10 minutes. They are easy to carry and the wind does not really bother them.

Ks_coyotee

15. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    we used to use the old steel wool and nine volt batteries in Boy Scouts. Could always get the newbees to put them both in the same pocket. lol

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    When I was going out on long hunting trips I would buy a duraflame type fireplace log. Then I'd take my hand saw and cut in into about 10 slices and then split each one of those into 2 or 4 pieces. Then I'd wrap each piece in foil and vacuum seal. You get a whole bunch of em for like $4.

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I never tried it, but was told that on rainy days one place to find dry kindling is the small twigs on the bottom of a pine tree.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Somebody brought a 5 gallon can of deck sealer out to deer camp, with the idea that we would use it on our picnic table.

Well, it had frozen, separated, and was just a gelatinous, gloppy mess. I took a piece of firewood and tried to stir it around, to see if it could be resurrected, but it was a no go.

I tossed the stick of wood on the nearly dead fire, and POOF! Not explosive, but fire. Lots of it.

Three years later, we're still using the deck sealer to start fires.:big_smile:

19. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    take a ziplock bag add charcoal put a lot of charchol starter fluid in it seal it and leave it alone .take it with you on your outing take 1 peice cover with kindling light with match and get ready