Easy Cleaning

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by ole whiskers, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Instead of scaling the bluegill,just skin him like a catfish. First saw this done in Louisiana. With skin off the bluegill he even tastes better. Any other cleaning ideas out there?

2. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    How I clean them depends on the size. Bull bream(where head meat ext ends over the eyes) I use a good electric knife- cutting on a sharp angle to catch the top head meat-cutting down to the back bone. In one motion -I cut toward the tail following the backbone . With the knife I flip the slab without separating it from the tail and continue cutting forward with the knife running on the inside of the skin until the fillet separates by itself. Flip the fish-repeat the process. So when you are done- the bream should have two flaps of skin attached to the tail and skeleton left..
    I'll try to post some pics in the AM -got a 70qt icechest of those pesky rascals to plow thru-Saves beau coup time!!!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would have never thought of this, thanks for the tip

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I use a hose pipe to clean them. Just shoot the scales from the tail toward the head and they come right off.

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I skinned them and ground them up once, Bluegill Burgers! Very delicious!:big_smile:

6. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use a device called "The Pan Handler Fish Filleter". I am sure you can find it someplace on the net. It is a box you put the fish in after removing scales and the head. Run a double blade knife down the length of the box and you get two perfect fillets with very little waste. A great device and quick to use and clean up.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is exactly how I clean all my fish. Its fast an easy. me and my dad tested this once and I cleaned 8 crappies to his one he was useing a fallet knife and a pocket knife.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Same here, I fillet everything anymore.. It's faster with less mess.. Also I'm getting kinda lazy in my golden years..

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I fillet them, cut down the back bone, then at the tail cut the meat away from the skin, it leaves a flap of skin attached to the tail, then flip over and do it again.