Easy Bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by whisker maniac, Jun 19, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    While I was fishing last wkend a feller came down to where we was camping and asked how we were doin. He told us that he has caught some good uns out of this small lake we were fishing. I asked him what he fished with and he told me this recipe:

two pkgs of the cheap hot dogs you get at walmart
    garlic powder
    two pkgs of the unsweetened red kool aid.

Take the hot dogs and cut them up into chunks and put in a bowl. Cover well with garlic powder and stir in well. Then put in the kool aid and stir it in well. Cover and put in fridge over night. Next morning go fishing.

He said he also uses the Ol Roy brand dog food that has a chewy center with a hard outer shell.

He showed me a pic of a 40lb blue he had caught out of the lake. He said he caught it with the hot dog recipe.

I invited him to join the BOC but he said he didn't mess with computers:eek:oooh:

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I tried that recipe last weekend. It worked better than I thought it would. The only thing I did different, I made the weenies almost 2 weeks before using them. I was gonna use them then, but got busy. Theysat in the fridge for 20 or 12 days. I threw one shallow to see if the color would bleed. As soon as it started to bleed, there came a 5 pound channel. I'm gonna try some variations of this, but it works like it is.

3. chuck618989

chuck618989 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tried this bait and worked suprisingly well...caught a 12 pound channel out of a lake, first try. I like it cause it's easy to make and keep...

I do agree that leaving it in the fridge longer works better...

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Kevin for sharing the receipt. Is the red Kool Aid used for taste or to die the hotdogs? If it is a dye would red food coloring work?

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have herd of similar recipes before and wondered if they would work thanks for letting us hear about it

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Mickey I think it's mostly for color and I think the dye in the koolaid is stronger than the food coloring plus it's a powder and will stick to the hot dogs to melt into them to die them. You would have to use an awful lot of food coloring to soak the hot dogs in to be able to dye then as good as the kool aid does.

7. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the tip. We will have to try this our next trip out.:smile2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is the koolaid a brand of red or is it like strawberry or cherry? Also is the hotdogs beef, turkey are something else? I know this is a lot of questions but this fascinates me to know something this simple works so well.

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    It's just the cheap hotdogs you buy at wal mart for around $.77 a pack and the kool aid is just the unsweetened red kool aid I used strawberry but as I understand it both use the same brite red dye or food coloring.

I haven't tried it yet but I've been wondering if it would work even better if you cut up the hotdogs and then soak them in minced garlic first and then add the kool aid later.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Gonna have to try this.

11. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I made that mix back in January. cut up the dogs and sprinkled them with Garlic powder then put them in a Pickle jar(USED) then put in the Strawberry Koolaid. Now here is where I changed it. I warmed the jar in a pan and filled it will boiling water and put the cap on. I let it cool and POP! the lid sealed. First used it 2 weeks ago and was realy impressed!! ....:smile2:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    After looking at a bunch of those recipes using red Kool-Aid, I've noticed that strawberry-banana seems to be a very popular flavor, too.

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I WILL HAVE TO GIVE THAT A TRY.DOWN HERE IN TX THERE IS NOT MUCH BETTER T USE FOR CHANNELS THEN CHICKEN LIVERS.ITS JUST HARD TO KEEP ON THE HOOK IS THE ONLY PROB,AND YOU DON'T SEEM TO GET AS MANY HITS ON IT WHEN YOU PUT IN PANTY HOSES OR LET IT SIT OUT TO GET HARD.I THINK I AM GOING TO TRY TO INJECT SOME CUT SHAD WITH CHICKEN LIVER AND SEE HOW IT DOES.HAS ANY BODY EVER TRIED THAT?

14. old_rebel

old_rebel New Member

I have use this bait but I have a little way of doing it. I use cheap hot dog, garlic powder and I add can of herring bit size in oil. I put it all in a jar and let it sit over night out side if I can. It work great I not only catch catfish with this but I have been catching some bream with it.

15. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    some guys where i fish was using shrimp soaked in kool-aid and was catching lots of channels. I was using fresh cut shad and didnt catch a fish

16. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i like to add a lil liguid garlick to it. the oil in it adds an extra kick

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    gonna have to give this a try.

18. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just got back from Wal-Mart with my supplies. I'm going to see if this'll work just spending a few hours in the frige instead of overnight.
    I don't want to wait till tomorrow to fish:sad2:

19. sliprig5

sliprig5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James Shrout
    Thank you for the recipe. I'll try it!

20. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you just pour the kool aid on the top, or do you mix it with sugar and water like it says on the package? :eek:oooh: