Eastman summer sausage tested

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 24, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im gonna share another eastman kit with the hunters. this summer sausage was good. i did a test run and ultimatly made 30#'s cause me and everyone of my hunting friends loved it.

start out with the kit. available online and in most hunting stores. pictured.

the kits make 15#'s comes with cure and seasoning and casings.

i made 30# with 2 kits. i used 10#'s of beef and 20#'s of ground venison.

i doctered mine up. added 1# of chopped jalapenos, and 2#'s of cubed colby cheese. (next time ill be using high heat cheese chunks availabe through meat processing companys) the colby worked but it didnt stay solid as it should when smoked.

first mix in the cure packet and seasoning. the fibourois casings need to be soaked in warm water prior to stuffing.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    then the casings should be stuffed. stuff real tight. i even manually squeeze the meat by twisting the end down. the tighter its stuffed the less it shrinks making the casing loose.

then tie end with twine. then place the sausage in the fridge to cure at least overnight or a couple days.

they can be low heat cooked in the oven or smoked either one. i smoked them on a smoker for 3 hrs low heat. the smoke penetrates the casings and just tastes great. my buddies all said next year they will be having me make these instead of the locker. much cheaper.

i spent $70 total on cheese peppers the 10# of beef and $15 each for the smoked summer kits. it costs $150 and up here to get 30# made.

THE SEASONING SHOWN IS ITIALIAN BRAT SEASONING. THE ONE NEEDED TO MAKE THIS IS SMOKED SUMMER. $15.00 TO MAKE $15#

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Does this type of sausage require refrigeration after smoking? If so, how well does it stand up to being frozen?

-- Rich

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    oh no you didn't!!!!! I know you didn't make some sausage and not plan on bringing (or at least sending) some to Keystone 5 to share with all yer buddies and pals

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes it needs refridration. i made 30# and vacumed sealed 3 rolls per bag and froze. was fine. i was eating some this week.

hugh! that package must have been lost in the mail. lol

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Jerm....great info. I can get the eastman stuff in town. I'll try it...

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks, i been wanting to try my hand at this Jerm. How critical is heat control? I got a smoker but it's wood fired. "Sausage maker.com" also sells all the stuff to make meats.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    john. temps are pretty critical. it cant get to hot or it will cook. it needs to raise slowly and heat the meat not cook it. then it renders fat into liquid. bad. you dont want temps over 225 degrees. and 170-180 is even better.

i have a sausage maker catalog. i have yet to try there kits. this was one at gander mnt.

i got a kit from www.lemproducts.com last season. it was real good too. main thing. dont use a bunch of fat (like 20% max) and low temps. and when internal temp is at 160-170 remove it and chill it in fridge or ice water.