Easties – Boat Ramp and Fishing Questions

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by GaryF, Jul 3, 2009.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I figured this would be a good place to ask a St Louis area question. Some of you Gateway guys still go fishing now and then, right? :smile2:

Boat ramps… Looking for a boat launch close to Plattin Rock, it looks like the Truman access may be my best bet, are there any other good or better options you would suggest? Is the Truman access a 24 hour area? Any big security concerns there?

Bait… Any suggestions for finding shad, asian carp, skipjack, mooneye, etc on the river itself? I know some of those are probably hard to locate on the river, just like they are here, but any advice would be welcome.

Honey holes… Just a few GPS coordinates please. I already know about the Cottonwood tree. :wink: Seriously, just wondering how you guys fish, anchored vs drifting, deep holes vs flats, etc. I’ve never been on the Mississippi, I imagine the current makes drifting a challenge, just like it is on the Missouri up here.

Any other advice for a Mississippi River newby? I’m not sure my exact schedule, but I’m looking to spend a couple of days over there sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Let us know when you are coming Gary. One of us will give you some help.

3. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post Gary, I to am wanting to make a trip before winter and dont know much about the area!!!:confused2::big_smile:

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Truman is the closest ramp to the boat club about 8 miles down river from it. As for bait the asians usually stack up behind the wing dykes anywhere on this stretch of river. As for shad or mooneye your guess is as good as mine I haven't fished down there yet this year. As for the honey holes you already know about the cottonwood tree, but keep an eye out for the blue barrel :wink:. Fishing techniques.......mostly just anchor up and throw your lines out behind your boat. I think there has been a few people try to do some sort of drifting, but with all the debris and current makes it pretty much impossible. Like Bob said just post up when your coming and I'm sure someone will be available to go out with you.

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Truman access is unusable right now, and it looks like it'll be that way for quite some time. Gary, give me a shout before you come down, and I'll hook you up for a bait spot and the ramp if I'm not working.:wink:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Truman Access is nearly unusable for the mud & debris, right now. Also, word has it it has it's own security problems, though myself, I never had anything happen.
    Flamm City ramp on the Meramec River is another option and a good one, but is about 12 miles upriver, I'm guessing. Never known of any problems there from anyone I know who fishes it regularly. I have used it many, many times and never once had anything happen.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tom, Flamm City sounds good, I located it on the map. Is it a 24 hour access?

Gary, Thanks for the offer. I'm probably going to be there on Sunday the 19th mid afternoon and on Monday the 20th. Those dates aren't 100% sure yet though.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good stuff, Gary. I'm off on Mondays, so I can show you around a bit both days. Just keep me posted on what your plans are. :wink: