Eastern red cedar

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CountryHart, Oct 16, 2007.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 500 board feet of dryed cedar thats ready to be worked. Can somebody point me in the right directions for chest plans. never worked with it and any help will be appreciated. It was sawed on a band saw an runs about 7/8" thickness and ranges from 4" to 12" in width.

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, that is a nice stash you got there. That cedar really makes a nice chest. I just got through building a chest but it wasn't out of cedar. Check out the chest in the thread I made today. I will PM you and give you my E-Mail address and if you like I can sketch you up a plan for a chest the way you want it. I just usually go to building and the way it comes out is usually the way it is.LOL

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank you Jim, I usually do my building from scratch also but i hate to waste any of this material and my first would prolly be easier if i had a plan. Again thanks, john

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What I wouldn't do to have 500 bd feet of cedar laying around.
    I agree with both of you guys, most of my projects are off the cuff. Good luck and keep us posted on pics of how the project comes

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    As soon as i can i'll post pic of a fence i built out of it also. The rails aren't split but it turned out ok. The place I hunt had a bad ice storm a few yr. back and most if not all that i've cut was already dead.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank you Pete. If we wasn't so far apart, I could prolly hook ya up with some material. I'll most likely cut some more this fall/winter.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    About 16 years ago I started a bunch of trees for a X-mas tree farmer. Well the guy backed out on me and I was stuck with the trees so we planted them on the back track of a friends land. We now have over 500 trees that are 30 plus feet high and between 25-30 feet round. At the time the trees were to be sold at a cost of $3 each so I lost a $1,500 sale on them. Some of the trees have trunks 12-18 inches round,are they worth cutting & milling to recover my loss or should I wait a few more years?

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go to http://www.toolsforwoodworking.com and check their site for your plans, information, and you might ask the support {Joel } on that site to as he does not post everything he has, but will usually take the time to answer questions. Especially now before the holiday season!
    I hope this helps you some.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do you air dry yours?
    I have some nice Red Cedar I need to get to a band mill and get sawed up.
    Some of it is around 30" through at the butt.
    Wonder how long it would take it to air dry enough to make some of this out of?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/woodworking/catfish-51804018.jpg
    I have 2 more sets of the chairs to make for Xmas gifts for the girls.
    Pete

PS how close do you live to where the wild horses are around there?
    Hope to get to Grizzly tools to pick up a new toy next year.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pete, I stacked mine in a barn on strips for almost a yr. but most was ready to work when it was milled. Most of it was dead/standing when i cut it. The man at the mill said usually 5 or 6 months to dry if stacked properly. Also i'm about 1 1/2 southwest of Springfield. I get a grizzle catalog but never been to the sale.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Swampy, i would be hesitant to say when to harvest. I guess that depends on how wide of material ya need. Some of mine only cut 1x4 but most is 1x6 or wider.I had some walnut cut that went 1x10. Not certain what to do with it yet. I paid 30 cent/ft. to have it milled here if that helps any.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I'm not gonna use the wood myself was thinking about selling it. I called the mill owner this morning,he's coming out to look at the trees later this week. He told me he may be interested in buying the trees now for milling if it's worth his time & labor. If not he said he may be willing to buy them on cont. to be cut at a later date. He told me it's not often he gets offers to but large blocks of red cedar trees such as I have. He seemed vary interested in them when he found out they are growing less then 15 miles from his mill.