eastern lakes reports

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by South Grand Laker, Nov 27, 2008.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How about some reports boys any reports in northeastern or southeastern oklahoma lakes i know some of you have been at it, lets hear em, i unfortunally haven't been able to go in a few weeks

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Took 11 eaters out of the Caney yesterday...nothing big but the first time I fished in a couple of months. Deer Hunting been consuming most of my time as of late.

3. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    which part of the caney, how's big creek about this time of the year?

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I put the new little boat right in town at the park. Big creek on the Verdigris still does fine this time of year. I've fished it in Nov, Dec and Jan with good results. I'll end up catching more channels than blues in the winter they seem to head to the lake but still some and channels always in the river.

5. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    in the park at Jonstone?, i haven't been up there since last well 2 summers ago, i imagine it's pretty dang dry isnt it/

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Yep... I fish upriver above the low water dam. There is plenty of water year around there. I was surprised to see to two other little boats out there this time of year also. A couple of crappie fisherman and some trotliners.

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh i see below the low water dam is pretty low, i've heard of descent holes on further down around coon creek, wasn't sure, i'm guessing there's some deeper holes above the low water dam, that looks like some pretty good log jams around up there, how do the blues do up in there?

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    That log jam at the railroad bridge is bigger now. There's enough room to get your boat by but not much. There's also logs just under the opening and I hit them every time with the prop. I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes impassable soon or I need to start a fire on that log jam. :tounge_out: There's a fair amount of blues, channels and flatheads in that section on river. Now that I have a small boat instead of a canoe to explore this section of river I plan on seeing all of it. Between the caney and little caney river above the low water dam there's probably 40 miles of river to explore all the way up to Hulah and Copan dams.

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey well see i alwasy wondered how to fish from the low water up to hulah and copan, but never could get my boat in anywhere, what's your best blue from that strech of the river?

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    20 pounds is my best blue from that section of river but I haven't put much real time into that section of river. I have caught some really nice flatheads in the upper thirties and there's decent numbers in the 40 to 60 pound range caught below the dams (Copan and Hulah)....so there coming up the river.

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah i kinda figured that, but without the water ever being up enough to go over the low water dam under the bridge, do they not ever go back down? the blues i'm saying or asking, just always wondered thta about that area

12. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    During high water spring rains there's enough water that the low water sam will go under water. I'm sure there's fish that will travel downsteam as well as some below the dam that travel above it when it goes under water.

13. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    that brings me to thought alittle off subject, when we used to get some perch to fishwith from joe allen loe park in the pond, we would sometimes get shad also, i know they can live awhile like that but i don't understand, why there in their like that, i don't know much about ponds but i sure didn't know they held live shad like that

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Shad can live in ponds just fine. My buddy's pond was stocked with lots of catfish and we would stock it with shad to make sure they had enough forage. We would see the shad flipping on the surface in the springtime and when we drained it there were lots of shad and big shad living a healthy life in his 1 acre pond.

15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    boys, I am heading back over to grand this coming weekend, (19th). Do I need to head up the river out of the main lake? I keep hearing/reading people talk about the twin bridges. Is that up the river?
    I would appreciate any help given.
    ccat

16. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes, that's up river, and if you fish down below grand your gonna want to fish down river, there's not a very good bite at all up at the cable

17. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Matt,
    I won't be back below Grand until after new years. I ordered an aluminum boat and won't be putting that ranger in that shallow/swift of water any more.
    I am getting a G3. I had ordered the 1860CC, but will probably go with the 1966Center Console. I can't wait.
    Guess I'll fish this weekend up around that bridge and then begin the clean out process of that ranger.
    You been catching any lately?
    ccat