Eastern Kentucky catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by cj5_crum, May 24, 2007.

1. cj5_crum

cj5_crum New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I love catfishing thanks to my dad. We live in eastern Ky and I'm looking for a place to fish that we can land some large fish. We live around Dewey lake and Paintsville lake and Yatesville lake as well as the Big sandy river, Ohio river and others. I am currently looking locally for a boat. Right now we are stuck on the bank. Any help would be great. Thanks. Adam

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC am 20 miles from paintsville lake

3. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    the ohio river is excellent, and yates ville is great also, just take some time and look for places. ask around at local baitshops.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yatesville is a great place to catfish last year I caught a flat head out of there 25 pounds, I was fishing at the Marina part where the pyr leads down to the water, usually catch most of my fish at dark.

5. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Welcome. I live about 15 minutes from Dewey. If you get a boat fish Big Branch, the channel outside of Mguire branch. Above Piney point along the main channel is great. I caught my biggest Channel there. Ive personally seen 75 pound flatheads come from Dewey. Its an old watershed fed by an older water shed in Johns creek. I myself am currently looking for another boat and am fishing from my buddies boat and the bank. Yatesville is a good channel lake but due to it being such a new lake 25-30 pounds is about the biggest you usually see. Paintsville is not much older than Yatesville but has some good fish. The Big Sandy has some great flatheads. I caught my biggest from there. I also watched a Flathead pull down my limb line attached to a 2" willow sapling and bust #18 tarred twine. It was baited with a 14" redhorse sucker. That happened just below Allen,Ky. Couldent get hold of it in time to get it in the boat:sad2: You may also want to try Johns creek itself. Ive caught plenty of good fish there as well.

6. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    It's tough to beat the Ohio River for big cats, but I've also caught some good ones from the Big Sandy.

7. cj5_crum

cj5_crum New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks everybody!! Catfish1 is great!!!! I'll try some of those places and let you know how I do. Thanks again.

8. KYMatt

KYMatt New Member

I fish the Tug River in Pike County, with great success. It is a Fork of the Big Sandy.

9. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    KyTrapper: You might be the one I need to talk to about Dewey! Just fished it last weekend. I jugged it and caught 7 small ones but I've been told it has a lot of big fish in it. I hit the bank on the main lake where the big rocks are at the mouth of Big Branch and straight across on the point next to the highway.

More than likely I was fishing the wrong part of the lake but I can't find anyone who knows anything about it to tell me where to go, accept maybe you. I heard a woman caught a 42 pounder out of there last year and I'm really surprised to hear of a 75 pounder coming out of there. How do you fish this lake? Should I quit the lower part and focus up the lake above the channel bouys? Should I forget about the main lake banks and concentrate more on the shallow flats? I also had a hard time catching enough trotline size bluegill for bait. The 3 or 4" size were hard to get. Didn't have enough to rebate with at halftime.

I did a recon up there back in the winter when the lake was down and never could find a definate creek channel. From what I saw on sonar, the bottom is flat all the way across with no structure whatsoever! Would greatly appreciate any help and advice.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Well Ive done well in big branch itself. Theres a channel that runs thru it around 13' deep towards the left hand side close to the mouth. Ive seen a lot of good fish come from there. It gets shallow farther up. I ran a trotline in Mgwire branch and caught all the fish on the shallow end towards the head of the hollar. Same with the other hollar. Caught all mine towards the shallow end save one. Down near the spillway on the lake size has produced some good fish to. Thats one of the lakes deepest spots. Above the main boat dock past Mgwire branch is were the channel bouys start. The main creek channel runs straight thru there. It goes for several miles all the way to the Germen bridge area where it connects with Johns creek. I personally feel the upper part of the lake is were the biggest fish are, this area also sees the least ammount of fishing pressure. I also heard of the 40lb+ fish last season. It has been several years since I personally saw a big fish there but I remember well a 75lb flathead that was caught there. I use to work on that lake and our crew found the head and upper body of a dead flathead washed up on shore that would have went 70 pounds as well. Befor the lake went in my family farmed that area as Johns creek passed thru it. Of course then it was substanence fishing and they used traps, trots, gill nets and seins. I remember many stories of huge "mudcats" they caught. Of course its a lot easier to catch big fish in a creek with nets and traps than it is on a lake with rod and reel:big_smile: Im not saying theres a lot of big flatheads in dewey but Im confident there is some. Two years ago I had 40lb trilene big game busted on me and a 6/0 hook strightened within a couple of weeks trying to wrestle big flatheads out of a log jam:angry: I caught 7 channels and 5 turtles this weekend on trots using cutbait. Im pretty sure their on the nest as all I caught were males and we actually ran a channel of the nest in a undercut bank:roll_eyes: Buy the way I catch my bluegill with a cast net. The shallow water around the boat docks is full of them. You can go into the shallows in most any hollar and find them. Take yourself some lightbread and "chum" them in. Get a bunch together and plop a net over them. I would say try the shallow flats right of the channels. I seem to have done better this year fishing like this. We have caught channels this year in goble branch or "swimmin pool" hollar as most call it were the come up into the shallows to feed. I hope this helps somewhat.....

11. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    KyTrapper: Thanks for replying. Appreciate the information. Do you have any certain hot spots I should try, such as up around the channel bouys? I have a cast net but don't know how to throw it properly. Sounds like you might be a good one to show a greenhorn like me! What's the biggest flathead you've taken out of the lake? And what about structure? I just couldn't find anything in the lake. Is that why finding a creek channel is so important?

When would you say is the best time to catch catfish on Dewey? Have you found any particular weather conditions that seem to work best like a rainy, stormy night, or before a front hits and it's real windy?

Right now, they should be on the nest and I might not get to go juggin again until July vacation when we go to Cumberland and stay all week. That's my time to put the pressure on 'em when they come off the nest. I live over in Leslie County so it could be possible to meet up with you sometime and let you show me how to fish Dewey. Feel free to PM me if you need my email.

12. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Hi there. Well due to a high ammount of boat traffic night fishing is generally the way to go on dewey. I like a cool night after a rain. Those nights seem to be "magic hour" for me:wink: A night after a good soaking rain or a daytime storm ect. Above the start of the channel bouys or there abouts is best. You can find a lot of hang ups and log jams in the lake along the banks from the boat dock up. The lake is man made and bottom structure is not real prevalent other than creek channels. Above the bouys is generally shallow other than the channel but has some the best fishing. Some of the side hollows above the boat docks offer good fishing because they generally start deep and end shallow. The cats usually come up into them to feed at night. Hollar at me when you come back up. My email add is phllpwest@bellsouth.net and Ill try and help.

13. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    Good to hear from you again and I'll hang on to your e-mail. From the way you describe it, the upper end definately sounds like where they'll hang out. The books say they prefer wood and log jams so that would be what I'm looking for. The flats on the left and right of the channel bouys, are they just mud flats or are they loaded with stumps? Laydowns are easy to find but is it easy to find the log jams? Are they pretty visible? Is there any big rocks or chunk rock banks on that upper end? I've got a 17' aluminum bass boat with a 40 Johnson on it, any danger in the main channel with the big engine and just use the trolling motor and depth finder for the flats?

It must have a good population of flatheads in it from what I've caught, and two of my buddies have caught when they each have gone up there. Is it pretty easy to load up on 20 or 30 fish or even an hundred pounds in a night? My personal best was last year in late April with 15 fish totaling 118 pounds in one night juggin! The Lord blessed me good!! I might get to slip away for a one nighter on maybe July 2nd, don't know about any sooner.

14. grizzlyadam

grizzlyadam New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shouldn't the big cats be off the nest by now?

15. dwestep

dwestep New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Guys!
    I'm quite literally just 4-5 minutes out from Dewey's spillway and I was wondering - where could a guy use either a cast net or minnow seine to catch bait at for catfishing ???

Also - I don't have a boat, but I hear the lake facing side of Dewey Dam, around the intake tower is a good place to fish for catfish... Is this true ?

Thanks in advance!

16. dwestep

dwestep New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do you mean you caught that catfish at the fishing jetty, just up from the marina and Barker Launch ramp? If so, that is COOL!! I personally have fished the heck out of the area around the jetty and have only caught about a truckload of bluegill and nice bass, but no cats.. However, I have seen them occasionally hit bass baits late at night when people come out on boats bass fishing around the jetty..

17. dwestep

dwestep New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In my experience, Yatesville is great for channel cats . If you hit the spillway at Yatesville late in the evening (after 7PM) between the middle of august and the middle of september with some nightcrawlers, you can rake up the channel cats in the "eater" size..

My personal favorite spot in the spillway at yatesville is just below the low head dam in the spillway.. Put a nightcrawler on the hook and drop it in, if conditions are favorable, it won't last 5 minutes before a big channel cat swallows it right up.

I personally have pics of some really nice channel cats that I caught this way back in 2010 :) . One was around 3 1/2 pounds and right near 24 inches long.

I hope this helps!

18. dwestep

dwestep New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh yeah - btw, To anybody looking for info on where to catch cats in dewey lake - You might want to drop Katfish Ken a message on here.. He seems to be really knowledgeable about where and how to catch some nice cats in Dewey.. He has indeed caught some nice ones out of there as well :) .

Also, on another note - I personally have a cast net, umbrella net, and a dip net and would be willing to help catch bait in Dewey lake occasionally. I work at night and sometimes have time in the day to go fishing, etc... I just recently moved within 5-10 minutes of Dewey's spillway / downstream area and it wouldn't be hard for me to drive to the lake to catch bait .. I'm not 100% up to speed on the hot spots for shad in Dewey, but if someone would show me where they are, I wouldn't care to do some netting. I don't have a boat, but I can throw a cast net from the bank pretty well :biggrin1: .

19. KentuckyCatfish

KentuckyCatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Like everyone above commented, the other places you mentioned are good, but its hard to beat the Ohio River for catfish. I would talk to a small time baitshop near you and get some hints, check out google earth and look at the bends in the river. Fish the wide side of the bends where its deeper, preferably around structure.

20. aedad

aedad New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a pretty good spot on Yatesville on Rt. 32 by the bridge on the Louisa side of the old Ced Gap store. I have also caught a fair amount of frying size channel cat at the Rich Creek boat ramp. Go under the bridge and fish the creek channel. I am thinking about heading to Dewey Lake this weekend to trotline and jugfish some. I have never fished there but from what I have read it is a very good lake.