East wind

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pappy3, Sep 28, 2007.

1. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    Does an east wind hurt your fishing?If so why? thanks pappy3

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    John there is a wives tale that goes wind from the east fish bite least. Now if your with me they bite mine least so I dont know if thats the cause of the wind or me:big_smile:.

I think the other is wind from the west fish bite best. Not sure what North and South are.

3. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    John
    Think it goes:
    Wind from the west- fish bite best
    Wind from the east- fish bite least
    Wind from the North - do not go forth
    Wind from the South- blows bait in their mouth
    Now I wonder why these things are called "Old Wives Tales"
    Luck

4. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    East wind to me has always hurt my fishing. I remember in louisiana I was running a trot line and doing great everyday and then one day the ole east wind came and the fish turned off. I went from catching alot to big fat zero!
    I from that point on I believed it! true or false I saw it as soon as the wind changed away from the east the fish started biting again! how about the rest of you guys? pappy3

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Anyone test the theory about fishing the end of a lake in which the wind is blowing ? I've read the wind will blow the plankton and zooplankton towards one end of a lake causing the baitfish to swarm and starting the food chain. It also causes the same end to have a slight higher water level. I don't know for sure but I tried it last time and broke my record. When the sun came up the water was stained with plankton and the baitfish were swarming alright. I cant say how much truth is in the theory but its worth observing.

6. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds good if you have a small lake but this lake can get wide at places, surounded by trees and hills . the wind does play a part as you say affecting the food chain only that on the two different lakes I have fished regularly the only time the fish didn't bite was with a east wind!
    pappy3

7. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I have experienced that recently and in my previous years of fishing.

I have modified that saying in the past years.

"When the wind blows from the east, the fish bite the least. It also applies to duck hunting."

I know a whole lot more about duck hunting than the very little I know about fishing.

This is just my opinion, but in my part of the country, I do believe it have more to do with a change in weather pattern than just an east wind or a weather pattern associated with an east wind. The book "Fishing for Catfish" by Keith Sutton goes into the effects weather changes has on fishing. I think it applies to wildlife in general, not just fishing. I have certainly had good duck hunting with an east wind and have killed nice deer with an east wind. On the contrary, I have had bad results in the field with an west or south wing.

One thing for sure, and east wind will not keep me out of the field or keep me off the water.

Good Luck,

Grits

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I think it all depends where you are at. I fish the wind accordingly. East wind fish the west bank if its not too hard then may fish the east bank for still water. It don't matter to me unless these winds are associated with a weather change then I may change my plans if the fishing turns off or I don't want to get wet.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't know how much it affects the fish, but I have heard it for so long that it affects my confidence;and therefore my success.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm in agreement with most of the above statements. When the weather changes, you must be able to change with it. The fish are still there, and will bite, but when the bite shuts down, the fish more than likely just moved from that location for one reason or other. Trots are pretty stationary, so you may have good luck in a location for a period of time, but at some point, the fish will likely vacate the area, and any weather change is likely to cause it. If I run a line, and it doesn't have a fish on it, I move it to a new location right then. I think if you can locate the forage fish, other fish will be feeding on them no matter what the weather is doing. JMHO.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    whoever made up that old wives tale must have fished from the bank in the same spot everyday.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here in my neck of the woods an east wind means rain a comin'- ergo front a comin'. If the front is heavy enough it will shut 'em off. I will not trout fish with an East wind. It will vary with other species. As Matt says you just may not be where they are at. Usually a good day to take a nap.