east valley flathead catfish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by jibble, May 5, 2009.

1. jibble

jibble New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    is there anything remotely close to the gilbert area for some decent flatheads?

My understanding is below granite reef is res...and above i've fished a few times without a HINT of any flatheads.

anything along the salt there thats worth taking a look at?

2. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Give me a call, I can take you to several spots, I live in E Mesa 602 315 4189

3. jibble

jibble New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks, but i don't want anyone to take me to spots... i'm just trying to find a few where i can go

4. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
  5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Have mucho fun trying to find a couple spots where someone can describe them perfectly to you. Ill just tell you to fish the Salt River. Problem is I cant describe where to go perfectly, I have many many holes along the Salt, from Granite reef, all the way to the Dam, to Roosevelt. Many of my spots along the Salt where I catch decent (10-20lbers) flatties, you have to hike to, My trophy spots (30lber-50lber) you must definately hike into them, through brush, catcus, and rattlesnakes, but you will throw the 20 pounders back as if they are nothing. We have caught as many as 4, 25-40 pounders a night. As far as Lakes, I only fish rivers typically, besides Bartlett, Horshoe, and rosey. Goodluck!

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Rob,

Check your PMs...

Thx,

Mark

7. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Drove out to granite reef dam area,could feel them big flatties callin my name!!:tounge_out:

8. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    How did you do at granite reef. to be honest LOL, Granite reef sucks for flatheads. But you are so close to some good catfishing right there, you just need to know where to go.

9. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Where is best for numbers? around granite? Phon D.? Pebble beach?
    Where?

10. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    All those places suck for Flatheads, There are only a few spots on the Salt that are really really good for Flatheads, and they are off the beaten path.

11. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So are they inbetween any of them or are they more towards the dam?

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    It is hard to explain where they are at exactly. You have to know the salt well, cause at different times they shoot off different amounts of water. So one year one spot will be great, and the next year, it could suck cause the water level might only be 6 inches across the whole river, I would stay away from anywhere the tubers are at. Phod D has to many Fly fisherman out walking around. Deeper waters inbetween recreation areas are usually OK, and most people I know usually do better between Sag and water users, but the areas are very diffficult to get into by walking, hell there is even a place called hidden lake that has some monsters in it, very few people know about that too, that is on the other side of the river, and you have to cross it in the shallows, and walk to it.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    wish i lived close to this place cause i'd ask you to show me. can't you guys figure out he's not gonna just tell or try to? he want to go with you and enjoy.
    gary

14. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thats a fact Gary,i went and explored one of the areas he was tellin me about tonight,wowww,cool stuff! Cant wait to hook up with Rob and go!!:big_smile:

15. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Okay... I know the waters pretty well and know of many spots where i can pull in 2 or 3 five-pound bass in half an hour but have yet to see a catfish... I went above pebble beach last weekend where there is a parking lot and a steep hill you have to go down to get to the river..(have been there very few times) and saw many bass on beds, tilapia, and even a muskrat but no catfish.

16. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona

Attached Files:

17. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I only show these spots on here, cause most wont even attempt to get there, but this is awesome flatheadin, cross the river to get to hidden lake, and also Cross to get to the other spots

Attached Files:

• SR.jpg
      SR.jpg
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So is there good fishin in hidden lake?

19. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Yes if you can get there, also depends if it flooded out this year in the spring or not. I usually do very well in hidden lake, It usually does flood out by the salt every year. Your main problem to get to any of those spots is you are going to have to cross the river, that is usually how i fish for flatheads anyways, I get a boat rod that is 5ft 10" or 6' tall, and i wade up and down those spots i showed you, and cast into overhangs, holes, and cover with bluegills or waterdogs. that is how i usually fish the Salt. This is a very effective way to fish the salt. most dont want to do that though. By wading, you can wade up to those deeper holes, those overhangs with cover. and those areas in the bends of the river you cant access from shore. I use a very heavy braided line, and J hooks, You CAN NOT let the fish run when you fish this way, you have to jackhammer the set, and yank that flathead out of cover, or through cover, or just have to crank him in, cause he will hang you up quickly. That is why i dont use circle hooks in this type of fishing. LoL I also use 150 pound power pro braid, with Mustad short shanked hooks. My reel is a reel for Tuna and Marlin, which is an accurate 870, 665h, 270, etc. I use such a heavy braid, beacuse if you cant yank fish out of the cover or he wraps you around something ,it wont snap line, and you can walk over and get him out of the snag. There is my lecture on fishing the Salt River LOL. Now you know why i dont fish any of the recreation spots. I hike into the spots where there is no one, and then wade from there. This is all depends on how fast the water is shooting out as well. So follow the flow charts from SRP

20. Fishin_Brud

Fishin_Brud New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sweet, thanks