East TN fishermen saved by Orientals

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Aug 24, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Fisherman looking for lifesaving strangers

By JILL MCNEAL
    6 News Anchor/Reporter
    LENOIR CITY (WATE) -- A Lenoir City man is searching for the strangers who saved his life.
    On Sunday morning, June 7, Jim Spencer was fishing at the Fort Loudon Dam when he fell 15 feet down a rocky cliff.
    "I packed up my rod and my tackle box and everything and started up the ridge and that's the last thing I remember," Spencer says.
    He woke up in the hospital 18 hours later.
    "The right leg is broken. I've got four metal bars that go all the way through the bone. The left leg, the foot is broken underneath. My wrist was broken. One eye, all the way around the skull's cracked underneath it and C2 in my neck is broken," Spencer says.
    He's recovering remarkably well physically, but says he still has nightmares about the fall that he can't remember.
    "I really want to know exactly what happened as much as I can to maybe help myself get better," Spencer says.
    First responders told him three other fishermen in the area witnessed the accident and helped save his life.
    "There was an Asian guy who was fishing right beside me and they said he sat there till the paramedics showed up, and there were two men in a boat who evidently called 911," he says.
    Spencer hopes finding them will give him some closure. "I don't know if I slipped, or, I have bad knees, I don't know if my knees went out."
    "I'd love to thank them. If I'd fallen down there and nobody had seen me, I could have bled to death. I wouldn't be here. In my mind, they're heroes," he says.
    Spencer has to stay off both feet for three-and-a-half more months, and then his doctors tell him he'll have to learn to walk all over again.
    If you have any information about what happened to Jim Spencer the day he fell, please call him at (865)-986-9368.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I sure hope the people that saved him see this an he getts to thank them in person .thanks for the post Festus

3. festus

festus New Member

You ought to see what he fell off of. I'm suprised TVA lets fishermen in there.

4. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow, wild. I hope the mending goes well.

5. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    God bless the good samaritans and glad there are still a few around. I hope he finds out cause I know he wants to meet and thank them.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Fetus, I am glad that you had rescuers. If you find them please let us know. Be careful...

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thats a cool story thanks for shairing it with us,,, Hope he can find them...:big_smile:
    Puddle

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glad someone was there to save his life. I hope he gets a chance to meet them in person. Thank God for the good people in this world.

9. festus

festus New Member

I am going fishing down there today. Will try to get a photograph of the area he fell from. We're going to fish the lock side instead of the side he fell from.

10. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Thats sounds like a horible day on the water! But thank GOD that someone was there to help him out cant imagine what that poor guy is going through, hope they meet.

11. festus

festus New Member

Here's where the fisherman fell. See the grassy area in the foreground? Beneath this it is very rocky. He fell from the rocks.

12. festus

festus New Member

In the attachment is a look where the fishermen fell. I wasn't there and didn't take the photo, so it didn't have a good look at the rocks.