East Meets West ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by john catfish young, Dec 8, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was thinking the other day...what we need is an East meets West fishing get together. Maybe sometime in the spring or Fall months might be the most productive times. One time the guys from the west could come over to the eastern parts and maybe the next time the east could come over to the western parts. What do you all think? Might be a good time for catching some Big ole Flatheads or Bluecats as well as a good time of fellowship! Maybe even let some of them Ohio boys and Tennessee boys into the get together. Anyway it is just a thought. What are your thoughts?:smile2:

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Could work out.Don't think there is a place to camp on the river in this end of the river.How would the Louisville area work?
    Jake

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I don't think there is either Jake. I'd like to do something like that, there's some good fishing over in the flatlanders part of the state...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:
    I'll check out and see If I can find someplace fairly close to the river to set up a camp. If not, there is always the state lake parks that aren't too far from good fishing.

Me and Firechief4201 have been throwing the idea around of organizing a get together around here sometime next year. I'll talk to him and see what he has to say.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This sounds like it could make for a real good time. I would be in for it.

5. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Over here in the Western Part of the state, we have the (Land-between-the lakes) national wildlife area. Lots of camp grounds, back woods camping at almost anywhere you look. Lots of good places to fish for Giant Flatheads and Big Blues too. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Lets get more input from some of the others as well and see if we can put something together in the spring!!!:wink:Lookin forward to it!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Also the Big "O"! My favorite place to fish!!! The Ohio and the Big Sandy are the 2 best places we have here to fish. One of the places where we fish is right across the Ohio from where the KY State record Channel was caught. Plenty of Flatties and the Blues are starting to get more abundant here. I'm looking forward to this also, sounds like this could be a great get together!:wink::cool2:
    I was down that way last year fishing at Henderson, we were there right in the middle of the spawn but had a great time anyway! Thanks for the great idea John!:cool2:

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Some other ideas with decent travel routes Otter Creek state park on the Ohio , Taylorsville ,Rough River north of Leitchfeild I haven't fished any of them nor do I know what splitting the distance equally would be . We could fish @ Boonesboro but my the fishing is well....not as good as the other options and It wouldn't be fair if I only drove 10 min. :wink:

8. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I was kinda hoping that we could fish each others proven spots. Places where some of the eastern guys fish regularly and catch some good ones. And in the western part of the state to fish some of our proven spots. It is just an idea...but familiar ground is sometimes better than a new place. But however it unfolds I'm sure it will be a blast! Lets here from everyone and let you guys handle it on your end and we'll straighten it out over here. And hopefully come springtime we can have the first annual East Meets West fish-a-thon. It gives us something to do through the slower winter months anyway.:wink:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am willing each direction I am in the middle :wink: I have fished Barkley around Demumbers bay actually willow bay . Never done well in KY lake but thats just me ! Will be watching the posts . :smile2::wink:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think this will be a blast. East meets West sounds like a great adventure. I can't wait.

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lance I would shy away from Otter Creek area for a gathering because your on millitary ground and they require a land permitt. I wouldnt think many would want to add that cost to a weekend trip. I live here on rough river lake there is good channel and flatheads here and 20 mins from cannelton dam. I belive nolin lake is the same as rough river lake as far as cats. nolin lake is about 40 mins south of rough river lake as well. I would think Louisville would be a close middle for a meet.thats about a hour and fifteen north east from here.

12. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Let me know when and where and I will be there...
    Linda

13. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I would think Salt river.They have a ramp right on the river and you are only 300 yds, from the Ohio river.It has a big parking lot and the two guys that runs it probably wouldn't mind if people camped there.It cost $3.00 a day to launch and that is a good area to fish.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You think you might check and see if they would allow us to do that ? Is there plenty of bank to fish ? I have a boat but it isn't safe for the big O And for right now it seems I won't be able to have more than my trolling motor I am broke and can't replace my other motor so ...I along with others would need a decent bank spot .

15. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm with you there Lance...I prefer to set up on the bank myself. Keeping my Chevy van close by as it is my home away from home on wheels. Complete with Air-mattress, food, stove, tables, everything I might need for a short stay or a long stay. If the weather is foul....I can still fish from the inside and watch my poles on the outside while that little propane heater keeps it quite toasty.:wink:

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like to fish from a boat in familliar territory or small bodies of water I don't gain enough of an advantage from my boat on unfamilliar waters to make it worth hauling it unless jug fishing and that has been not so productive for me either so I will join you on the bank !:wink: I am closer to the cooler and bed when it is time . And I don't know about grilling deer steaks on the boat !

17. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Personally, I think the Salt River is a great idea...as I live approc 1/2 to 1 mile from the boat dock. My place is slightly down river from the Salt and when the river is down, plenty of shore land to fish from, eith er at my place or at Salt River. At the Salt River, you have camp sites with restroom facilities. You can have an open fire. The boat ramp is always kept nice and the gentelman who operates the boat ramp and campground lives on site. I can find out prices for camping. Salt River is easily navigational with a boat and trolling motor, in fact, you could use your float down to West Point then troll back to Salt River. The key is to do this when the river is down so there will be accessable beach to fish from. I am ready to go anywhere, but if you all decide to do it here, I will help with any details. I have enough river front beach, we can even set tents there and use my house for restroom, eating or crashing in case of bad weather...:big_smile:

Linda

18. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Sounds like a great time unfolding. I'd definately be up for something like that!

19. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Bank or boat I'll be there.:big_smile:

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You better be, wouldn't be the same without ya!:big_smile: