East Kentucky Catfisherman Part VII

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sorry guy i thought the other one had run its course... so i started this one... hope thats okay with everyone, hopefully everyone will find there way to this one.....

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys I guess that the river is going to be hanging or rising a bit. The lakes are pulling back down to winter pool and the water is heading down stream.:crazy:

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    be safe and get out the 8oz. weights !

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Where is Larry??? Has he jumped ship on us and gone back to bass fishing?? Is he sick ??? He hasn't posted in ever. Anyone have any ideas???

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know ken, but i have seen him lurking around in a few different places. i guess he just has lock-jaw for the first time ever...hahaha

just out of curiosity, why is it that they pull the lakes down to a winter pool. i have never really thought about it and am curious why they do it.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The lakes in this area were constructed for flood control purposes. In the winter when we get most of our rain the lakes constantly fluctuate up and down. In the spring when flooding is most likely it is nothing uncommon for the lakes to be way up in the timber to keep flooding from happening down stream. This is just my simple way of looking at it, someone else may have a better explanation

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    good enough for me ken, i couldnt think of a good reason.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't know where he is either??? Strange....:confused2:

Went trout fishing at Greenbo yesterday. I didn't do any good but saw several caught. I guess if I had the right bait i'd have caught some.:roll_eyes: Thinking about going back there soon.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    WHat was the right bait John?? Corn or what??

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Power bait I think. The little yellow egg looking stuff.:confused2::smile2:
    I tried wax worms & crawlers but no hits.:confused2: Think I may go tomorrow and buy some of that stuff and try to catch a few. They were supposed to stock 15,000 in there.:eek:oooh:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've heard that stuff is pretty good stuff for trout. sometimes the color is what triggers the bite with trout. I would take some corn along too. If ya could find some small earth worms they might work too.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you are going to buy bait, a lot of people over look the usefulness of a few small crappie minnows. TNT sells red ones that work sell for crappie and a buddy of mine catches lots of trout on them. trout love those roostertails and inline spinners.

let me know when your going next i may meet you out there...

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i see you larry, is your keyboard broken???

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What he said !

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have caught several trout on the small Rapalas and jointed Rebels.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm thinking about going tomorrow. Not sure what time yet, still have to go get some of that bait. My luck they won't want it tomorrow...:roll_eyes::smile2:
    I've never eaten trout so I may keep a few to try out.:confused2::big_smile:

17. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    dont try to filley them, cook them whole. just cut the head off and fin along with gutting them. i have a few recipes i can give to ya if you get ahold of a couple...

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sounds good. If I can get a few I'll try it.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I guess 8 is still the limit on them. If ya get a hold of a limit you got a couple of nice messes of fish. I guess they stock the small ones there like they do at Paintsville.

20. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    A lot of people swear by the Jensen Super Duper lures for the trout at Greenbo. I'm not sure if you can catch 'em at the bank or not, maybe at the Dam. Also heard a great way to fix 'em is to cut off the head, gut 'em and drop in deep fryer filled with peanut oil. Dang, I'm making myself hungry.