East Kentucky Catfisherman Part III

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by katfish ken, Dec 30, 2008.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well guys 1000 and odd post so I guess we need a part III. Here it is.Have at it.

Wishin I was fishing

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

WOOHOO!!! A new thread! You reckon we oughta let them know there is a new one???:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I just left a not on the door on the other thread. Thanks for adding the link.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:smile2: Me too, I saw yours after I had posted it...:smile2: No problem!:wink:

May 1,2,3 or May 8,9,10 ???

Which dates would be better for everybody? I figure start Friday afternoon/evening and fish till Sunday morning/whenever. I'm planning on camping out wherever it is. We could have a cookout/dinner/fish fry Saturday afternoon. If its the boat club or the wall we'll have a boat ramp really close by. I have a small grill I could bring and we'll get all the particulars nailed down after we get the date and place set in stone.
    I have a feeling that all will have a great time! Should be some good fishing and great company!!!:wink::cool2:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Either dates should be good for me. I will come up with a tarp or 2 to make a shelter in case of rain.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Good idea Ken. I hadn't thought of that. I really wanna try to make it at the wall. Thats the best place for a get together for sure! If all else fails we could just get everyone to park up top and walk the short distance to the wall.

"THE WALL" Catlettsburg, KY, 1st Annual Get-Together ~ May 1,2,3 2008

Kinda has a nice ring to it don't it...:wink::smile2:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The wall would be 1st and best choice. If the water level will allow. It's not a long or bad walk. Not like some of the places we have been. When can we expect to start catching Skipjack below Greenup again.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true about the water level. It'll have to get pretty high to make us not have it there though. True also, its an easy walk compared to the dam or other places.
    I'm gonna ask Jake about that, I really need some for the freezer. I'd like to go down there to try for them or Sauger. Just not sure about the walk up and down there. I could probably get down there now but back up I'm not so sure...:roll_eyes:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've got some new flies tied up that may be deadly on the skippies. They are #6 hooks buck tails and I think they will be great on the bigger ones.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sounds like they should work good! We need to go try them out!!!

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The bigger skippies will be caught earlier in the season I guess for the most part right??

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd say so, Jake has told me that this time of year he catches some big ones, just not a whole lot. The Shad will be pretty thick there around March or so. I'm planning on loading up with them also!

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN !!! Net Shad and fish for skipjack. That sound like a good day trip.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yes it does! If we time it right we should be able to get enough bait in one day for the year! We'll have to make several trips to the truck with bait or we'll never get it up that hill...:smile2:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Well just do what we have to . If that's what it takes. We are going to need bait and what better place to get it. Beats the heck out of buying it. I love fishing at the dam if it just wasn't such a drive. Gas prices aren't as bad this year though that's a plus.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The drive and the walk are the 2 worst things. Good fishing there though. Hopefully gas prices will stay down, make farther away trips more possible if they do.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Yepper!!! I'd like to make a trip westward this year. My brother works in the Louisville area and was talking the other day about wanting to go out there to fish a couple of days this spring.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Prayerssent for Danny ! I'll try to keep watching the dates for the get together ! What other species of eating fish are common at the wall ? Don't say carp or asian carp !:wink: Sauger walleyes or whites 'hybrids or other ? I have got to try and load up my lil mouths are eating me outta house and home !

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've never fish for any thing but cats at the wall, but I'm sure there are some other species there.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

There are usually Drum there...:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:
    I've saw and heard of cats, stripers, whites, sauger being caught there. May should be a really good time to load up on the eater channels there. We'll do our best to send you home with lots of fillets!!!:wink: