East Fork Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fitzytbone1, Sep 13, 2006.

1. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've tried fishing East Fork Lake several times over the years and have never had any luck...and by that I mean I have never caught a fish out of that lake. I know that its a busy lake during the day but I have always gone at night to avoid the waterskiiers and sea-doos. Just curious to see if there are any spots to try or if it is just that bad fishing there. Thanks!!!

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There are some decent flatheads in there if you know how to fish for them but mostly it's full of channels. Some people will tell you there's world records cats in there and some people will tell you there aren't any fish in there at all. It's OK, at best, and that's on a good day. This year has been extremely slow there for me. I fish there occasionally because I live 5 minutes from it, but the Ohio is generally where you'll catch me fishing. You don't mention if your fishing from a boat or bank. If boating, try up in the river past the first big corner. Good luck.

3. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    yeah i fish from the banks. it feels like i've been all over the banks out there with nothing to show for it...lol. there is one time i remember seeing a guy with a few on a stringer and that was by the dam, but i think thats the only time i've seen a fish out there.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If there are Gizzard Shad in there, when they spawn at 62 dregrees I believe in 1 1/2- 2 ft of water.........find them and you may find the Shovels!

Plz note that I never caught a Flattie out of a lake so take this with a grain of salt.

:wink:

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.....take that with more than a grain of salt.:wink: :wink: :wink:

6. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I've lived in this area since 1972.( East fork was dammed in 1978) East fork has some fantastic flatheads in it. Many over 40 and a few 50's ....:wink: ....This lake can be difficult to fish at times, but if you know where to go and when, you can have success...Plenty of bank spaces produce some of the monsters..so you don't always need a boat....Large green sunfish seems to be a start...:wink: also, the area in which the river merges with this lake can at times be rather productive...:wink: .....THE CATKING !!!

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Duxsrus

I'm just tryin to help here and I'm always willing to learn and NEED Too!!

Hearsay from some of the guys that do get Yellow Cats over at Saltfork go when the Shad are spawning and the Flats are feeding on them. Where do we need to place more salt PLZ???????

Thanks

:baffle:

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The tactic you mention can be very effective. For some reason this year it didn't produce at all. I fish from a boat there which makes this technique much easier.

9. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Has anyone ever tried the north end of the lake near the beach where the river starts? There is a lot of room to fish off the bank back toward the river, but it is a long walk and steep banks. It looks like some good spots back in there, has anyone ever had any luck there?

10. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Yes, that is a great area for spring time flatheads.... I kid you not... THE CATKING !!!

11. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    This lake has the potential to have very large cats in it. Near the dam, i've seen plenty of crayfish, shad flickers (jumps), and caught tons of bluegill, so there's not a food shortage for them. The lake can definetly support big flatheads, i've never caught anything but channels and a couple of bluecats. All under 8 pounds.