East Central Illinois Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by R Bishop, Jun 27, 2006.

1. R Bishop

R Bishop New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everyone. I am brand new to this board, just found it yesterday.Great place, lots of good info.

2. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Welcome to the BOC

3. R Bishop

R Bishop New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everyone, I am brand new to the BOC board, just found it yesterday. Great place, lots of good info.
    I was wondering if anyone could recomend a place in east central Ill. that would be good bank fishing. I am located in Marshall Ill. about 20 miles west of Terre Haute Ind. I was thinking about Matton Lake it is only about 45 miles. Is there good bank fishing? If so could you please tell me where?
    Any other suggestions of good lakes would also be very helpfull. The Wife and I are looking for a place that holds some pretty good fish. I would like for her to catch a good one. We dont keep any fish we just like to catch them and snap a couple pictures. We would be up to a 100 mile drive to go fishing. x

-ppppp

4. R Bishop

R Bishop New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everyone. I an brand new to the BOC board, just found it yesterday. Great Place. Lots and lots of good info.
    The wife and I are trying to get out and fish some differant lakes within 100 miles of home. We live in Marshall Ill. , About 20 miles west of Terre Haute Ind. Some of the lakes within our range are Matton, Charleston, Shebyville, Lincoln Trail, Mill Creek, Sara, Newton and Lake Vermillion. We need a place that is fairly easy to get to, the Wife cant walk to far.
    We fish for channels, blues and flatheads and are at this point restricted to bank fishing. If you guys could give me an idea as to where to go on these, or other lakes in our area it would really help us out. It is really hard on some of these lakes to find a good spot to bank fish. Thanks

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    welome aboard neighbor! hears what i can tell ya, mill creek is pretty good for nice size fish but the steep banks make it hard to fish. go under the bridge or on the dam or they have a new trail that goes back to a fishing area but i havent been down that yet. linkon trail is good for eating size but gets prety crowded there. shelbyville the only place ive found to bankfish is the spillway, crowded even worse. havent been to the other lakes on your list but somebody around here has.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Welcome and feel free to join in

7. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    theres also walnut point north of oakland. lots od bankfishing but i havent had much luck the last few years and havent fished it in a while.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Randy, Welcome to the BOC... get ready for take-off...:lol:

9. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I hear that Charleston is very good but I have never fished it and don't know about bank fishing. Mattoon Lake and Lake Paradise are good but there are only a couple spots I know of that would be ok for your wife to get to. Send me a PM and I will help you all I can.

10. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I used to live within walking distance of Lake Shelbyville, and most of the fishing that I did there was shore fishing. I never had much luck with the cats there, but maybe the lake is just too big for a shore catfisherman to fish properly. Anyway, if you're thinking about driving up to Shelbyville send me a private message and I'll tell you where you can get down to it.

11. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have bank fished lake charleston a couple times. I know there are some decent sized fish in there. i know of 2 people catching 30+lb cats. the raised divider between the river section and the lake section is easy to get to and is an easy walk out along the lake. the sides of the divider is covered with large rock. most people get closer to the water and go down the rock sides. I really don't know why you couldn't stay up top and cast out over the rock. If your wife caught something you could go down to the water's edge to land it. there is usually a few people fishing off the divider but there is alot of space there. i think every time i've gone i've seen someone fishing in the corner near to the access gate.

12. R Bishop

R Bishop New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank you guys for all the help and the welcome.ChuckB I will be sending you a PM today. Astutzman I live within 10 miles of Lincoln Trail and Mill Creek and if you come fishing sometime over here send me a PM and maybe we can get together and do some fishing. K Fritts thanks for the info on Lake Charlston, I have fished it a couple times and plan on going back, I did not know that they had that big of fish.

13. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lake charleston is about the only place i have taken my grilfriends fishin because there is a nice concrete levee as soon as you turn into the lake. u can rest your poles on a concrete divider at the top and sit on it as well. we just park the truck right next to us and listen to music and fish. on average we would catch about ten small channels a night. every once in a while we would catch a nice channel. and on one occasion my buddy landed a 63 lb flatty(all luck! but if u wanna see the pics just let me know cuz i still got em on my comp). anyway, good luck.

14. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the board.

15. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the site.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Randy.

17. Putnam_Outdoors

Putnam_Outdoors New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi guys - I live on the other side of the Wabash from ya (Indiana). Do you guys have strips pits in east central Illinois ? We have literally hundreds of them south and slightly east of Terre Haute. I just wondered if those extend over to the other side of the river. Ours are coal mining operations...

I was in the USAF for 20 years and joined up before I really was old enough to explore much of Indiana and eastern Illinois. Just moved back a few years ago and now am starting to get out in search of places I have tried.

Thanks
    Jay

18. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome Bishop, I am relatively new to this site as well, however I have fished the majority of these waters you have mentioned. There is not a ton of public access to lake mattoon but there is plenty to bank fishing opportunity. This is a good lake for skillet sized fish. This lake is stocked often and the numbers are high. Occassionally you will catch a nice 15-20 lb channel (I have only seen a handful this size) however realistically you will be catching several fish in the 4-8 lb range. They recently opened a beach area for the public at the lake and you can simply pull your vehicle up to the bank and begin fishing. As previously mentioned, there are good fish in charleston. There is good access with a gravel road across the lake/river divider. You may even get into a school of strippers if you are fishing with liver. The spillway at shelbyville just isnt what it use to be. This use to produce a lot of big, big fish. It just seems like it has been hammered by the public. Lake sara has limited public access and I personally have had very little luck there. The newton cips lake is literally a blast. There is public access but the lake is more or less surrounded by a state park. So basically you 'may' have to cut through the woods but trust me, its worth it. Once again, you're gonna catch a lot of skillet sized fish but it would be nothing to catch 150 channel between the two of you in one day. We usually have our best luck with stink baits and shad here. Some other places you may take into consideration are clinton lake (i've never fished it but I hear good things) and the kaskaskia above lake shelbyville (tons of public access). How about the wabash river? Have you ever fished that? Well good luck and if I can help you anymore then feel free to pm me.

19. YankeeRebel

YankeeRebel New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in Casey,Illinois but I used to live in Paris,Illinois. Me and some buddies used to fish the Charleston Lake all the time. There are some good catfishing there. It was easy to park and grab your stuff and start fishin'. I hear Mill Creek thats near you is good too Randy. Happy fishin' man. :cool2: Tell us all about it if ya go.