Easiest to cast baitcaster fishing reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by grizzly, Jun 24, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    What is the easiest casting reel to cast. Are the Abu's the best? I have 2 Penn's, a 209 and a 309 and I struggle casting with them.

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been using baitcasters for over 60 years and sometimes free running reels like the 209 and 309 will give me fits,other times can use them for days without a backlash.The Abu's are a little easier to cast but still use the Penn's when fishing for big fish.With practice and patients the Penn's will become second nature like riding a bicycle.
    Jake

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The abus are easier because they have a cast control adjsutment. If you are having trouble with a penn try the abu. I had a penn and had no luck with it. Abu no problem.

4. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I've had a lot of trouble casting baitcasters but I got a Quantum iron and i can cast it a mile every time without backlashing.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    The garcia's break system when adjusted to the right setting works well for me ,no backlash:cross:.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've never tried a PENN but the first time out of the box with a 6500 abu I casted it 40 yds with no backlash, little effort and was quite amazed. The 6500 and 7000's can be adjusted easily before every cast by turning a knob to tighten or loosen the spool depending on sinker and/or bait size.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 6000/6500 size Abu reels are probably the easiest casting baitcasters around. The 7000 size is still pretty easy, but a little more finicky on getting them adjusted sometimes. Like the guys said above, if you get them adjusted correctly, they're very easy!

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    ABU's are the only way to fly!!! I use 7000C3's and 6600CB and I have no problem casting them at all!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Any bait caster is harder than a spinning reel. However, once you have put sufficient practice into throwing them, You probably wouldn't go back to a spinning reel. I have both, Penn and Abu's. It is just a personal preference, and no way you can convince a person with the opposing view that he is wrong and your right, but I much prefer the abu's. Still fish with my Penn, but if I am in the serious fishing mode, the Penn stays home. LOL

10. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Thanks for the response guys. I think my problem with the Penns is that I don't throw them enough to stay in practice. When I first got them I would go to the neighbors resevior and practice 2 or 3 times a week. But in 2002 I fell and broke my back in 2 places and since then if I throw them 5 or 6 times I'm in the recliner in pain for 2 days. When I did throw them a lot I could throw 2 ounces farther than I thought possible. I really don't catch anything big enough to need reels that big, but maybe someday I will. Gotta keep dreaming, right.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a Penn 209 and they are a lot harder to cast than an ABU. You must rely on your thumb. With any of my Abu's once I get them adjusted to the weight I am throwing I just cast and most of the time I don't even place my finger on the spool. I also would agree that the 7000 series and above are a little more touchy. Get a good 6000 or 6500 and you should have no problem with them.

12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Thanks for the help guys. I bought the penns a few years ago when my son and I were trying a little river fishing, but my boat is a little small for the Arkansas. My budget won't allow it right now but maybe I can get an Abu one of these days. I've got spare rods everywhere.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the abu garcias, they rarely backlash on me and i can cast a pretty good ways. a few years ago i picked up a daiwa procaster-x for cheap on clearance. learned to throw a baitcaster on that reel. now i can throw any baitcaster i pick up.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its pettry easy to cast baitcaster once u learn, u just have to pracitice.

15. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    I just had to send my thumb to casting school :big_smile: I have an old Daiwa and Shimano, they have the magnetic break system but I don't use them. My favorite before selling some before my disability was approved was the Garcia 5500c. Sometimes practice is all it takes just hang in there and never give up.
    Good luck and God bless.
    Rick

16. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yesterday I took my 209 and my sons little shakspeare to a pond. The 209 is overkill, but I love hearing the baitclicker. It was one of those days, where every cast with the 209 ended wth a backlash. Last week I never backlashed once. My wife says I wake up in a different world everyday. I guess yesterday I didn't wake up in a good casting world. lol

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    What kinda line you have on the 209? With some heavy oil in the bushings and big enough line you should be able to get your thirty feet without a problem. If you want to put a lot of muscle into it, well then you are up a creek, but modest cast shouldn't be too hard.

18. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Abu reels are the easiest reels to cast.

19. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    i found that in the begining when I was first learning to cast my baitcasters that the more weight on the line the better. Then as I got better I could drop the weight and still make good casts. Hope that helps a little.

20. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I'm using 5&1/2oz to try to get distance. The pond I'm fishing right now is VERY shallow and getting out as far as possible seems to help. Part of my problem may be my pole. I took the 209 off the 12' and put it on an 8' pole. I've since put it back on the 12', and i'll see if that helps.