Easier jug fishing setup...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dixiedrifter, Apr 24, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been working on a new jug fishing setup to make things simpler to handle and easy to keep organized.

Its still in prototype stage but basically works like this:

You have an air compressor reel that stores your lines.

Each line has trotline quick connect swivels on each end, a weight, and depth stops.

Basically they look like this:

Trotline swivel>2oz weight>stop>>>>>>stop>>>>stop>>>stop>>>swivel>optional weight

The jug attachment looks like this:

Screw>>washer/epoxy/glue>>bottlecap>>>washer/silicone>>>wingnut

Here is how it works:

You take a line off the reel and hook it onto an anchor weight rigged up from a cast peice of lead with an eye screwed into it using the bottom quick connect. As you let it out, you attach your baited "trots" using more quick connects at whatever depth you wish to fish. When the line hits the bottom, you simply wrap it 2x around the screw on the end of the bottle and tighten the wingnut up to set the depth of your jug (the thin layer of silicone sealant on the inside of washer helps to grip the line), and let out the line all the way and unhook. The weight on the end of the line keeps the slack down in the water preventing you from catching yourself and d*** skiers.

Anyways, like I said, its still in prototype stage and may be abandoned at any time, but I thought it might get everyone thinking for better ways to jug fish.

I know what they say about reinventing the wheel, but if nobody tried to reinvent the wheel we wouldn't have steel belted radials.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a picture of a device I came up with to: store my jugline; let me unwind as much line as needed, then fasten the line so it wouldn't continue to unwind; and attach two jugs together when wanted. I called it a jugbuddy.
    This was designed for anchored jugs, and my anchored juglines have 3" dropper loops every 3'. There is a provision to attach the anchor to the bottom end of the line. Hooks are on short droppers attached to trotline clips, which are clipped onto the dropper loops of the jugline. This allows hooks to be removed as the jugline is pulled in (for safety), then allows the jugline to be wound up without hooks. When measuring out the jugline, and you have unwound all the line you want, simply clip one of the dropper loops into the trotline clip attached to the jugbuddy.
    The two disks in the picture are made of plastic, and were prone to breakage. If you should use this design, you probably need to use some unbreakable, or at least very tough, material for the disks.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, this )(*&) site won't let me post the picture...again. Last time I posted it, it took 6 or 8 tries before it finally took it. Sorry for the garbage posts, but if the site isn't working right, ain't my fault.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    did it again

'coure, this site won't let me deltete posts that it screws up

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And here we go again.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Again, again, and again.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok. I went in and deleted where it lied about posting the file.

Attached Files: