Earth anchors.

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cuttingout69, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I started using earth anchors last year on my coon slide wires. I decided to try them on some land sets this season. I have lost two traps using them. One the wire broke after the second catch, the other the cable broke on the second catch. I am total at dismay with these things. I have never lost a lot of traps to rebar stakes and never one that was wired off to a tree. I just don't know what I am going to do. I like the way they work and they are so easy to put in. Plus you can carry so many more off the earth anchors than rebar stakes. Do any of you old timers have any ideas?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never used them but I have been tossing the idea around,but with the info from your post I may just keep up using the old standby re-bar stakes.Any thing that can save weight saves time and in these days of high fuel that means money saved

3. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ya, I know I am doing something wrong, but I just don't know what. Both traps lost were on the second catch. Now if I have to put the earth anchor and change the wire or cable every time I catch, I am with you 223, I will just keep the re-bars handy. I like the weight and speed with which I can place the earth anchors though. I need to do some more checking on them. Both broke right at the ground.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like there was a kink or some other damage from the first catch for both to break that way

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Cutout you might try using a swivel, at ground level . I would recomend, a couple of inches out of ground to keep swivel from balling up so much.
    cant see, cable breaking, unless, it was chewed, a lot or otter. Good Idea to check for, damage, after catch. Make sure you didn't get some help, to make it look like a animal. cable the way to go.
    Hope this helps, or give you some ideas.
    Jim

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    can you but a snare on a fence? or do you need to use a re-bar stake?

7. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have been using disposables for the last two years without any problems but I don't run near as many traps as you do. What size cable are you using? I use 3/32 and berkshire stakes. My cable lengths average about 15 inches for my land traps. I put together some longer ones for my sliders. I went to using split rings this year instead of j hooks. That made a huge difference with remakes and set ups in general. Sorry to hear about you losing those traps though.

8. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The way I had them set up is as follows. I had one, a 1 1/2 victor coil set on a dobled #14 wire. I had a swivel on the end of the trap chain about 2-3" out of the ground. I was tied off to the swivel. On the other one, I had about 15" of 3/32" cable through a swivle in the end of a #2 wolfers chain, I just don't know what went wrong. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yes Kevin you can hook a snare to a fence.
    I didn't think it was a good idea so I never did.
    The critter will get caught up in the fence and you'll have to spend valuable time untangling the snare.
    best of luck
    just

10. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    What was your target animal?
    Was the ground all torn up like the critter ran in circles long enough to break it?
    Was the ground frozen?
    It takes a lot to break 3/32.

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If in I tell you what I think I caught you will LOL at me. It was set for a fox. I had taken three on the pipeline 30 yards away. I had it set in the edge of a road going to the green field. I had also put a quail head in the dirt hole and taken a skunk in this set. Instead of removing the skunk from the area, I put it close to the set to see if I could draw a coyote or fox to the set. Well, you know what flys around and loves to eat dead skunks ha? Yep, that is what took off with the trap. I am thinking I had to have had nec in the cable.

The one with the #14ga wire had taken a coyote. I know he just ran in circles till he broke the wire.

12. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    The one with the #14ga wire had taken a coyote. I know he just ran in circles till he broke the wire.[/QUOTE]

I build mine with swivels because of just that thing.
    A swivel in the middle of the snare cable won't do you much good unless the critter is doing summersaults.
    You might try a tangle stick. It would hold your catch in a small area. Its possible to make the area so small he can't move much.
    Also leaving a stick within reach will give him something to chew on. It kinda keeps his frustration level down so he has something to do besides chewing on your cable..
    best of luck
    just

13. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been using cable stakes for 3 years. The first thing I would never do is use wire for anything bigger than a coon. If it's set on land, I would never trust wire. As for the cable one, let me ask, how were you attaching the cable to the disposable stake? Did you use ferrules, and if you did, did you crimp them with a swedger <sp?> or beat them with a hammer? It sounds like the cable must have been frayed. I had one broken cable in the three years I've used them and that was on one that I knew the cable was a little frayed but set it anyways. I dont catch high numbers, but last season i caught 18 red fox and 4 coyotes and this past season caught 13 coyotes.

When you say "earth anchors" is that the brand name you meant? Earth anchors are pretty good, but personally I dont trust the Berkshires, they seem flimsy to me. I used earth anchors my first season, but then switched to pogo stakes because theyre so much cheaper and in my opinion better. You need to buy the driver because its very difficult to make one, but the stakes you make yourself. All they are are 1/4 inch fender washers 1.5-2" in diameter, a J hook, and your cable. You can buy the driver, or premade washers stakes here http://www.pogostickanchors.com/ . Plus, Pogo (the guy who sells them) is one of the best people you'll ever deal with.

As for chain and swivels, I change all my chain to #2 machine link chain... set up like this. A swivel, 2 links of chain, swivel, 2 more links of chain, and swivel. Then attach your cable stake. If you have any questions feel free to ask me here or pm me. Hope this helped.

Angela

14. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can make a simple swivel by using shims.
    Just drill a hole slightly larger than your cable and bend it 90 degrees with as large a center as possible Use a small washer like those used for pop rivets and hammer on a stop
    Shims may be a little hard to find. I made mine on a punch press at a machine shop I used to work at.
    I use 2' rebar stakes that I weld a washer on.
    You've probably noticed I make most of my own equipment.Keeps the cost down.

best of luck
    just

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I make my own disposable anchors with cable attached and drivers. I use short double swiveled trap chains with an S hook on the end to attach to the cable and in the center between the swivels. I drive the anchor in far enough that the first S hook is in the ground an use the center S hook to change traps. Coyotes around here want to jump up which will pump a stake out with a short chain but won't pull an earth anchor. Foxes just want to pull streight away and in a circle so I think the trick is to swivel, swivel and swivel with a good solid anchor.

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Angela! Looks like your going to fit right in. Thanks for your input also, thats what makes this place great.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

make sure you are useing large enough washers? make sure the cable is long enough for the conditions. make sure if you are useing a hammer to smash down the ferrules not to smack the cable in the process. it may nick it and make it weaker. cable stakes is all i use

18. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    After looking a what went on and reading all the post here, I think I am going to make some changes. My broken down old wore out no trapping PARTNER gave me and idea with out even knowing it. I going to try it out and then let yall know if it works out right. Thanks

19. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here is how I rig mine . All my traps have a swivel at the trap , 3 links of #2 machine chain swivel 3 links then another universal swivel . I use a J rivet to attach to the cable stake . I also don't reuse a rivet after opening them . That has saved me several traps as they couldn't pull the cable stake or open the rivet . I have seen deep foot prints on either side of my trap telling me they tried . To pull them I use a pick . Stick the pointed end into the swivel and step on the flatened end while pulling back . If in frozen ground usually the cable will break or the rivet will open .

I also add a inline shock spring to my coyote traps . They help on the anchor more then for the animal unlike some will tell you . I have held up to 5 coyotes without having to reset a cable stake in the same trap . I like the Pogo system of earth anchor .

Just my .02 worth . Hope it helps some .

Pete

20. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Pete what trap do you use on the land line? I am working a deal on some used, mod, wolfers. I love the traps and I am think the price is right. I sure like the looks of the new 550RC though. I am thinking of just picking up a couple of doz of them instead.