Earnhardt Jr, Best chance at a championship?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by wolfman, Feb 9, 2007.

What is your thoughts on Dale Earnhardt Jr's best chances of getting a championship?

1. Stay with DEI

2. Drive for another big owner such as RCR or Hendrick or Gibbs

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    What is your thoughts on Dale Earnhardt Jr's best chances of getting a championship?

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I don't think he will do it this year Walt. There is too much "drama" going on between him and Theresa. I don't think he can focus on a championship with that stuff going on.

3. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Hi Dan, I agree, its not going to happen this year. Even if he gets his way and owns a majority of DEI, I think the championship will become harder to accomplish.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    He'll need a crew chief for that. Eury has to put the car to beat on the track week after week not just some of the time.
    The Eury's just haven't shown me they are capable. They drop the ball in a big way too many times during the course of a season.
    You have to be in contention to win races to win a championship.

Ask Mark Martin.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mark summed it up well. Not too much to add there. I don't see him winning it at DEI. Honestly, I don't see him winning one anytime soon. In today’s world the older he gets the less his chances are. Of course there is a possibility of a pendulum swing possible where drivers in their late 30's could possibly dominate the sport once again. Time will tell.

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I don't agree with the age factor winning championships. Look at Dale Jarett and Terry Labonte. When they both won their second championships they were "old" compared to the "young guns" of racing today.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Look at the aged ones out there doing nothing more then filling a field and making laps.
    Those old guys dont have to and in most cases wont get out there and mix it up. They either got real smart, real scared, comfortable with the money, or all of the above.
    I remember well when the old guys started chicken sliding to the rear of the field at the plate tracks to miss the "big one".

The field is full of young drivers. Every last one of them will make winning moves that the older ones wont. Noticed Jeff Gordon the last two years?
    I have. He isnt as agressive and makes fewer and fewer of the bold moves.
    He dont have to and would be stupid to.
    Kinda like the best move big E. could have made was climb out of the race car and run DEI before he got killed.
    I would have hated it as a fan but I hate it alot more not being able to see what big E. could have done with DEI in his retirement.

Its not the same Cup racing it used to be. There is alot of money paid out to just crank the car. It cheapens the incitives to win, to race, and compete as the days of old. The old drivers are there setting up the timing for their multi million dollar retirement tour.

Now Jeff Burton the voice of anything not right for the drivers in NASCAR wants health and disability insurance provided by NASCAR or by the teams.
    Teams owners dont do the bennies for drivers mainly because they are contracted labor, here today and gone tomorrow.
    So the next step to further destruct the sport past the point it is would be a driver's union. It's coming soon to a track near you.
    It's almost to the point now that they just need to line the cars up on the track, draw straws for a winnner and let the ticket holders walk past the cars all goggle eyed and go home.
    Kinda like the Christmas parade in a town too small to have one. Park the floats and the band and let the people look at the parade as they walk to their cars.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Come on, your 35 years-old, worth $15,000,000-$20,000,000 million, you are married to or dating a model, you own a $6,000,000 yacht, a $9,000,000 Gulfstream, one of your many houses is worth another $4,000,000...who cares about winning a race!!!!!

The only guys with the "drive" are the ones who are under their first contract and still fly on the team owners plane!! :lol:

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Danny, Jarrett only won ONE championship :sad2:.... in 1999.

Terry however, did win two....'84 and '96.

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Mark not all the old drivers are field fillers. Take my boy Mark Martin. He has been in the top ten in points since they started this chase for the cup. I also agree that NASCAR is not what it used to be.
    Sorry Tanya, DJ does have only one championship. I was thinking of something else.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Between Mark's driving style (not using the bumpers and the fenders that NASCAR allows to be installed on the cars) and Jack Roush he hasn't stood a Chinaman's chance at a championship.
    You have to take a championship not ask for it.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Mark Martins best chance of winning a championship came the year that Jeff Gordon had one of the best seasons a driver has had in the modern era of NASCAR.

Talk about some bad luck!

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You should of added "wont ever win one". The shootout was a good example. Dale Jr. is not smart enough to win one. He makes too many mistakes and his team does also. Most teams can take a young driver and turn them into a good racer. Jr comes into the race with the attitude that he knows everything. He second guesses his team and owner way too much. He had a car and a chance to win the shootout but poor decision making cost him a chance. Now he admits when he makes mistakes I will give him that, but too many to ever be a cup champ IMHO!

14. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    One thing for sure...he will never be the driver his father was

15. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Nobody can be the driver that Dale Earnhardt was. I have faith in Jr. though...maybe he won't get the championship this year but he will get one. I know some of you think he is a young stupid driver but take the time and look at where he has came from. All of them guys screw up and make stupid decisions....not just Jr. The shootout he did cause a wreck and he was bumpdrafting for someone else...not for his benefit. How many other drivers have a big enough set to come out and say...hey I screwed up and caused that wreck....almost everyone else just crys and blames it on someone else. That there earns my respect for Jr. more than any other driver could.