Early tomatoes

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Rockin' Blues, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    anyone planted tomatoes yet.I know alot of people say wait until May but the weather looks good now.Any thoughts?

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    It makes my mouth water just thinking about some fried green tomatoes and catfish fillets. I couldn't grow mud here on the rock I live on but I'll be buying me some of them plump Big Reds.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ron, as you know, here in St. Louis, the weather has been much warmer than normal for this time of year. The last frost date for instance is around now, but how long has it been since we had a frost? I see no reason not to plant early this year. I have neighbors who alreay have their entire garden planted, with corn about 6 inches up. Mine is ready and I will be planting corn, beans & cucumbers Tuesday or Wednesday. I think it would be safe to plant tomatoes, but I will hold off a few weeks. They don't really do well till the ground gets about 70 degrees at night. We aint that warm yet.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I plant my tomatoes every year on good friday. Down here in west tennessee a lot of people plant on good friday.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) planted Mine Last Week. Figured If It Was Too Frost I'd Just Set A Bucket Over Them. So Far They Really Look Good. If We Don't Get Some Rain That Could Be A Different Ball Game. I'd Go Ahead And Plant.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I havent gotten the tomatoes yet. The bell peppers and watermellon seeds I started indoors are growing well. and my red onions I started from seeds were doing ok till I moved them to a larger container, now they're alive but not happy. mental note to self...dont let onion go to seed again if I expect to get a bulb to eat.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Wolfie, life is just tooooo hard on you! LOL

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I planted my road runner 2 tomatoes last weekend.
    There is a chance of frost next week, but you can cover them and should have no problems.

9. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    It all depends on what zone your in. I have always went with the olé timers around hear and plant starter plants on St. Pats and transfer them to the garden on Mothers day. This is for my tomatoes and peppers. I usually start the broccoli at the same time and put them out a couple of weeks earlier. As far as Peas, Carrots, Onions, Lettuce, and Beets are concerned I'm planting them now and they probably should have been in 2 weeks ago.

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I used to set out my Better Boy tomatoes during the 3rd week of march. But for the past 3 years, I have had to wait until the 2nd week in April due to weather.
    Heard on the TV the other day that our winters are averageing 10 days shorter that a couple decades ago. Spring is almost nonexistant now a days. Guess somebody needs to update the calendars.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Normally have mine in by now but not this year. If thet had been in the ground the hail would of got them last night. Did have 1/2 rain though.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) hey Blue Jay Send Some Of That Rain Over Our Way .we Could Sure Use It. Don't Need The Hail Though. Glad To Hear You All Did Have A Little Rain. Enough To Make The Grass Grow Real Well. That Way You Don't Get Bored. I Know Rather Be Fishin Than Cuttin Grass (right).