Early Summer Flathead catfish - best bet for catching them

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catfish clinton, Jan 24, 2010.

1. catfish clinton

catfish clinton New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where would my best bet be for catching good sized flatheads in the Cornhusker state in late May or early June? I am not as interested in catching a lot of smaller cats, less than 15 lbs., as I am in catching a few big boys.

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    branch davidian I mean oak. But they're catch and release

3. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    well considering last years haul .. or what was posted anyway.. biggest flattie came outta bluestem.. the most came out of branched oak or was it Frankies' canal??.. but the place thats said to have the biggest and most fish come out of it is the Missouri River.. although the last 2 years hasnt really produced much but you wouldnt know if from the hype it gets lol. dont get me wrong the MO is a great place to fish and it holds them all, finding them, and getting them to bite is the trick.. but when you got guys that live next to it and fish from gavins point to KS and bluestem yields the biggest of the year and branched oak or was it Frankies' Canal?? that takes the quantity for the year.. well take your pick.. i fish it all as often as i can... and this year ive already made it a point to fish Frankies pool while hes at the Canal :snicker:

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Mo river!!Down towards bellvuiew is the farthest ive gon down..I want to go father this year..but i know theres HUGE flatheads down that way!!!

5. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Yeah the last 2 years havnt been the best but 2008 chris caught a 90 lb blue last year blizz caught one almost as big. Not to many big fish in 2009 but one night tournament had 114 lbs with 2 blues the guy that had 2nd place had a 55 lb blue but the main problem is the state thinks they need to come down to the river and shock fish so you can catch them in a lake up around lincoln

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    yea well cant really blame them with the perch gettin outta control in some of these lakes.. not to mention alot of ppl want to catch those fish but have kids that want to go fishin too... and we all know a kid falls in the lake off a rocky bank and their gonna get banged up a bit and you reach in and get them but a kid falls in off a steep muddy bank on the river its not just a reach in thing theres current and undertoes and such. besides with ALL those cats ya got in the MO the few their take'n out shouldnt change your fishin right? i mean its not like they come take 30,000 or anything and its the river what gets taken out is replaced by another comeing up or down the river .. ya??

7. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think if people are smart they wouldnt eat any thing south of the I-680 bridge crossing in to iowa!!!

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Keep it in your pants LOL

9. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    no there isn't nothing wrong with them doing it???... take them all but when they are out daily putting the shock to them they don't eat much who stocked the perch???? how 'bout they take some asain carp up their take them all they get big in fact i seen one today that was almost 40 pounds... just remember it takes along time for a fish to get up 50 + pounds

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i hear exactly what your sayin there JR. now i know exactly why i dont catch much outta the river i must be only goin on the shocked days LOL

11. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    lmao...I for got to put DOWN RIVER too..lol

12. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    They shock the river? I didnt know that...Ill bet it is raining carp while they shock it..lmao

13. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Try live bullheads..Works every time!!!

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Rumor has it that G&P stocked the white perch by mistake thinking they were white bass fry. That is just a rumor and they deny it.

15. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    if they deny it they probabalyl did it. if they didnt give you an anwser they did it..lol

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Ah but they cast the blame at the fishermen,you know everything moves because of bucket biologists according to the ngpc,never because they had some trash mixed into a stocking effort,honestly I do think they are trying their best with what they have to work with,as far as government entities go they try to keep the people happy,as many as possible anyways,compared to some of our other governmental units who don't pass anything by without the what can I get out of this for me routine. The problem alot of us have is that after the money comes in they forget there is any state west of Lincoln,when it comes to putting the money to use.

17. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    anyone buy a hunt/fish combo got mine the other day 60 buck for that plus 20 for a stupid park sticker....
    i hope they enjoy my money because its probably the last time i'm buying one for the reason i can get a non resident iowa and missouri for that price... ok i know they may need the money but why don't they use it where they need to.. i know that indian cave could use some of it they have the worse ramp i have ever seen concrete one side has a big drop off we have sign at ours that pretty much says don't expect us to do much

18. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    I completely understand where your coming from JR the prices they are charging is kinda nuts considering outta state permits... and considering you only fish the river you could get away with one from iowa or missouri. Those of us that fish the inland waters regularly have a bit more of need for a resident NE license. come this year ill have to buy one for my daughter and next year one for my son too.. thatll make 4 combos for me and 4 park stickers each year. but i look at it like this... $60 per person for 365 days of enjoyment boils down to 16 cents a day per person, tho it sucks to come up with the money all at once for me with a wife and 4 kids a license a park sticker some bait shells bullets arrows and traps last a long time and is better for us then an $80 fat induced meal and a $60 2 hour movie with $40 of junk food.

i can fish a bank find other ramp travel to another location and fish a new place, i can pull out the trash fish and have as much fun watching them be caught by the kids as catchin them myself. i can pick up and burn the trash i find and use another mans trash as tho it was brand new to me.

i know that my $60 doesnt go to just the G&P construction division it goes to the fisheries dept as well as the payroll dept and yea even the tax dept it pays for gas trucks salaries tractors scientists biologists surveyors temp employees and the one that needs more $$ is OUTDOOR EDUCATION and the list goes on and on... not to mention the parks and rivers and wma's ALL over the state.

Tho i do understand where your coming from i also understand where the G&P is coming from too.. dont get me wrong tho theres always a better way to spend the money when someone else is spending it.

19. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Is that Steve? He looks familiar.