Early spring/Spring tactics

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Scott Daw, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    For those of you who fish lakes & reservoirs for channel cats, whats your tactic? baits, rigs, locations..ect. I found a nice spot while hunting where a decent sized trout stream flows into a lake. Its a rocky stream and before it enters the bay of the lake, theres a string of rocks like a small, junky dam to slow the streams current before it goes into the lake (errosion control, I suppose). Im thinking this would be great early season for fish going on spawning runs and also during the hot days for cooler water.

2. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Scott, I would think that it is a good place. It sounds to me like a good place for food for the fish to get caught up in too.

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sounds good to me. Id throw a cast net first, or run a fish finder over it first, then that would be the key to finding fish. JMHO.

Wheelmobile07

4. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Throwing a castnet might not be a bad idea. If your getting a lot of baitfish from that area you know they are going to be hanging around there. From there i'd attempt to find structure or a deep hole nearby incase your doing some mid-day fishing and they retreat out further from shore. Good Luck

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It might be a good spot, it wont hurt to try.

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I prefer to fish with cut bait and no sinker with the bait clicker on, and really big hooks and bait. I always use 8/0 or 10/0 and like octopus hooks. Hide your hooks thought, the large gap makes them illegal in alot of places even though no one knows it. Worst case is a large egg sinker fished carolina style. Always use a clicker and point the rod tip tward you bait.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    here best way I used nightcrawler in early spring, I caught 25 catfish in two hour, and look at my profile pic that I hold 25 catfish in April 2006. Channel catfish are on feeding during early spring, I catch them as quick. I also tried use minnow, I have caught them as few. I caught them by the dock. ok I use carolina rig with medium to small egg sinker because I fishing on lake. I don't use large hooks for channel, I use medium baitholder hooks.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I have caught quite a few channels in the early fishin season by workin small jigs to the shoreline. My PB channel was caught 6 inches from the shore in the early mornin hours.
    Was in my boat castin up under trees...the 9lber hit immediately... engulfed my jig within a literal second of it hittin the water. I'm guessin it was feedin off of 'a hatch

cyas
    robert

9. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    Jigs do work well in early spring. My home state of Kansas has(or had) the world record flathead of 123 lbs. and it was caught while the guywas crappie fishing in early spring with a jig.

10. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds like a great place 2 me...dont catchem all lol

11. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Question... Are there any other keys or clues that might help you narrow your search? Examples might be changes in the bottom of the lake; sand bars or gravel edges, or visible submerged timber. Try looking into it farther than just an inflow and a current brake. From the way you describe it, sounds like it has great potential. Now key on what would bring bait and then fish to this spot. This is where you'll find your answer.

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I focus on shallow flats in the spring that is usually where the bait fish are. The water temp is a lot warmer in shallow areas.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The stream opens into a small bay and then theres a rock wall (current break) going from side to side and then it passes under a highway bridge before entering a larger bay of the lake.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If you're in a boat, I would follow the channel down to see where it crosses (in relation to the bridge). My best early spring channel cat spot is pretty much like you described (except for the rocky trout stream part)!
    The bridge is not built over the channel, but probably a couple hundred yards away. My best spot is right where the fill (and riprap) for the roadbed drops down into the channel. I can pull my boat right up onto the bank, and fancast baits from the deepest part of the channel, to the shallows around me, and the biggest cats usually come from the deep channel area.
    This is always after catching a cast net full of shad, which the lake is full of, and has been the best bait for catching the bigger channel cats.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like you found a early spring honey hole! i fish several spots like you discribed. the cats will nose rite up in those creeks as soon as the ice is off(maybe sooner?). it is esecially good after a bit of rain and warmer temps. i have noticed that they are real skidish at that time of year. they will drop your bait if they feel any resistance! if this is the case,ill pull off about 3-4 ft of line and lay it in the grass in an s shape. when i see them pulling the line i get ready for them to tighten it up then set. that tecnique upped my catches considerably! make sure you use a slip rig too. oh, and take your camera so we can see your pics. lol

good luck brother!!!!!!!!

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best spring bait for channels will be worms or fresh cut bait that bleeds when you cut it. Also DK's works really well when the water temp's start rising. Sounds Like a good spot to try, Good Luck :smile2: .