early spring on the lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Redd, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I suppose it's time to swallow my pride and ask for a couple tips on lake fishin'. Me and a couple buddy's intend to spend a few or more days out on Big Hill Lake in southeast KS, come mid march. I'm a river and strip pit fisherman myself, so I'm lost on this one. I've done some research and talked to a couple people who'd been there and about all I know is: There's a lot of trees. Helpful information there... truth being, I don't know whether I'm being sarcastic or not. Lots of trees means I won't run out of cover and that's probably where the fish will be hunkered. Game plan right now is to boat around from tree to tree and throw dinamite. It'd be too cold to use the new noodling tricks "Jaydubyuh" (dreadnaught) taught me. Otherwise that'd be my second tactic of choice. But the dinamite will be covert enough...

Anyway, with all joking aside, if anyone's fished this lake or is somewhat of an expert on fishing lakes this time of year... I'm all ears. Or eyes in this particular scenario. I guess my main concern is where exactly would they be? I've read that as soon as it starts to warm up, they're in coves where water warms faster. Has anyone tried this? Another factor that puts a kink in the operation is we're going to focus most of our attention on flathead. Too early? We don't start fishing for flathead here until they move up the river from grandlake, quite a bit later in the year. Any help would be appreciated. And ya'll take care.

-Red

2. Spock

Spock New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the trip went rather well, don't you Redd? I mean, we could hardly handle all those blue cats we caught!