Early Spring flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by e5catfish, Jan 24, 2008.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    How early do you guys start fishing for flatheads in the Spring? The books talk about the winter kill for shad and that when the water hits 50 degrees or so, they start going on the prowl looking for food. Supposed to be one of the best times to score on some big ones or even a lot of fish.

I've always waited until the 1st week in May here in Kentucky to start juggin but the water temp is usually around 72 degrees by then. Starting to think I've been waiting too late. Took a trip one year the last week in April and the water temp was 68 degrees, caught 15 fish that weighed over 118 pounds. My best one nighter ever! More proof that I should have started ever earlier.

Anyone have a certain water temp they go by or personal experience with this? The same may also be true for Fall fishing. Usually quit sometime in October but maybe I should hang in there right on through November.

2. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I fish just north of saint louis, I have found around here that the bite starts really setting in around the begining of May, just kinda depends on the temps, as far as temp, I like when the water hits atleast 65 to 70

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    50 degrees they start to move,60s better though.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    anytime after ice out,especially after a good rain at the mouth of tributaries and shallow bays find the crappies and the flats will be close by

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I started fishing for them on exactly May 1st of 2007. I caught small ones.

I don't ususally encounter the bigguns until late May.

This year, I will start in mid April. Maybe even sooner if I can't hold out.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    out here its mid march and early april. last april was when i cuaght my PB a 31 lber. caught quite a few taht night. was the first night that the air temps were over 90 degrees. i cant wait. shouldnt be too much longer out here.

7. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm just waiting for the ice to melt up here.I just got a new setup,but the darn bait would just bounce across the frozen stuff here in Southeastern Wisconsin.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I probably will start on the Flats as soon as the water reaches 50 degrees. Maybe even earlier say late march ...early april.:eek:oooh:

9. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm in northern Illinois and start fishing for them in early May. May is usually a good month for me (except for last year). 50 degrees is the magical number that I always hear. I know a few guys who do start getting some flatheads in April, but most don't seem to start until May and even June.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    AROUND LATE MARCH EARLY APRIL HERE

11. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Never had much luck here until late april or early may

12. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know it goes against everything Ive learned about flats but I caught the 17 pound shovelhead in my avatar the second week in january on the Ohio river The temperature was in the teens ,not sure what the water temp was (but it was cold) it just proves they might not be so mobile in the winter months but they still eat:wink:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can catch them throughout the winter. i think the biggest misconception is they don't feed... most people just don't go about targeting the right ways, by slowly the presentation down and downsizing baits. rollo

14. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We start in April starts off a little slow but picks up pretty quick.

15. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in Texas we start in March first part better be a little early than late. We usually have a norther around the first of aprailit slows down a little but starts up pretty soon after that and fish until the middle of june. thanks Sam Davis

16. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The main time that i start is when the water temp is 60 degrees,I have been fishing for flathead for 25 years ,and wont even mess with live bluegill until it 60.

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I start in late March..... I don't catch anything until April, but I have to bust the cabin fever!

I have a feeling that if the river stays ok I will catch 1 in Feb, a few in march, etc....

18. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I finally got to where i can catch em in march here in illinois, what with global warming it may just be cuz the water got warmer sooner>>??? I look for water to at least be in the 53 to 56 degree range b4 i go out.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i might be pushing it a little but when i can catch bluegills in shallow water i start putting out one or two poles for flats but i still have cut skips on for blues and channels to cut down on the skunks.