EARLY SEASON HUNTING AT THE CIRCLE T

Discussion in 'LUKE CLAYTON' started by Luke Clayton, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    EARLY SEASON HUNTING AT THE CIRCLE T
    [​IMG]
    Luke Clayton

I knew an old timer when I was a kid that said his health was always better in the fall. The older I get, the better I understand what he meant. With the promise of cooler temperatures comes the long awaited opener of teal season later this month, then comes the bow season opener, then quail and then…and then, there are more things to do in the outdoors than most of us can possibly find the time to enjoy but, I do try!

[​IMG]
    Lewis Duncan, manager of the Circle T Bowhunting Ranch near Commerce in northeast Texas, applies some wild hog attractant paste to a tree in hopes to attract wild hogs within shooting range.
    Photo by Luke Clayton​

I spent the past couple days in northeast Texas near Commerce at the Circle T Bowhunting Ranch, the guest of owner Kenneth Tallent and manager Lewis Duncan. My buddy Richard Chrisman joined me for a short hog hunt and to test some new wild hog attractant we have been working on for a long time. We had an absolute ball getting away for a couple days. The weather even cooperated with temperatures a bit cooler and a little late afternoon rain. Richard managed to shoot his first wild boar, a good eater that weighed about 145 pounds. The hog came in to the attractor ‘paste’ that we had smeared on a tree within easy shooting range of our two tripod stands situated in the boughs of a big cedar tree. I was setting on the side of the tree opposite Chrisman with the camera and spotted the approaching hogs first. The instant the scent from the paste reached their finely tuned nostrils, they threw their heads up to get a better smell, then they came straight to the tree with the paste. Lewis Duncan used some of the paste in conjunction with corn to bait a hog trap on the place and the next morning, we were rewarded with a very aggressive little boar that was lured to the sweet/sour smell of the paste.

[​IMG]
    The pungent aroma of the hog paste was more than these hogs could resist.
    Photo by Luke Clayton​

I was also scouting for whitetail during the hunt. I’m making plans to be in one of the stand situated along the Middle Sulphur River come opening day of bow season. The bucks were just beginning to rub the velvet from their antlers and I saw several big 8 pointers, as well as a couple of real “wall hanger” 10 pointers with velvet strips hanging from their antlers. A couple of the mature 8 pointers would have easily scored 130 PY. I’m always amazed at how quickly bucks get rid of the velvet from their antlers each fall; the task is often accomplished within a 24 hour period. While hunting the Circle T late this past winter, I noticed several mature 8 point whitetail bucks coming in to the corn feeder I was hunting. The ranch is offering 4 day guided bow hunts to reduce the overabundance of 8 pointers this season for $1,200, which includes lodging. To learn more about hunting the Circle T Ranch, contact Lewis Duncan at 972-814-4440 or online at www.circletbowhuntingranch.com .

*************************************************​

I am eagerly awaiting the opener of teal season later this month and even have a couple of make shift blinds constructed from switch cane and weeds on the shores of some gravel pits near my home where I enjoy hunting ducks each fall. Blue wing numbers are up this year, according to early reports from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife biologists. Teal hunting is a ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ sport. The little birds often stop off for a day or two in north and central Texas while in route to the coastal marshes around the Coastal Bend, where they are often congregate in astounding numbers before continuing their migration. Many teal winter along the Texas coast, making for great shooting during the later duck seasons. I have found teal extremely easy to decoy and get within shoot range. Often a few ‘peep peep’ calls from the teal whistle is all it take to get their attention and have them buzzing your decoy spread. In flight, teal sound like miniature jet planes and appear to be flying faster than they really are. The biologists say mallard actually fly faster than teal but prove that to a flustered teal hunter that has just been “buzzed” by a flight of teal!

My long time buddy guide George Rule checked in last week and said the hybrid striper and stripers were on a great early morning bite at Lake Tawakoni. The fish have been schooling early around isolated humps and points in the mid to lower lake. Live shad is always a good bait choice but 4 inch Sassy Shad in pearl or chartreuse will also get you bit. Rule suggests making long casts past the feeding fish, then hold the rod tip high and work the baits back through the fish just under the surface. Guide George Rule can be reached at 214-202-6641.

Listen to Luke Clayton’s Outdoors Radio online at www.catfishradio.com

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good job Luke, I liked the wild hog photo!