Early Rut?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Oct 14, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The farm I've been hunting is showing some serious signs of the rut already. It's been very dry here and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I've been hunting a corner where the hay field goes up the mountain on the left edge of the property, with planted pines on right and hardwoods above and to the left. In the corner of the hardwoods there are 1/2 dozen scrapes along a 50 yard area at the edge of the field. There are saplings 1-1 1/2 inches that have been broken in half or completely uprooted. I don't think I've ever seen this much rut sign this early in the year. I hope it turns out to be a good indicator of what's to come.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Seeing that would get me stoked too! Good luck

3. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    where i hunt in one part of the woods there is a big 8 point and he has rubs all over the place and a big scrape line going. he was chasing does around friday but my dad couldnt get a shot so its my turn next week. and the 7 point i shot had his nose to the ground and was on a mission. looks like its comming early this year.

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The does and fawns have not yet separated here yet. You are lucky. For some reason on the land I hunt the bucks don't make scrapes. I have hunted this land since 2003. I have found many rubs and some big ones at that but not a single scrape.

5. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    before this year we have only seen 1 scrape a year and it was is in the same spot every year. but this year they are all over

6. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The bucks around here seem to be grouped up still, I have video of several small groups of bucks both large and small hanging together. I normally do not see much sign as far as rubs and almost no scrapes on this property. If it was not for my camera then I would not think there were any bucks working this area at all. Over the last week I have a half dozen different bucks on camera walking the same trail. There there just for some reason don't leave much sign.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There were 7 deer there Friday evening between 6 & 7:15PM but the bucks (2) didn't show up until it was almost dark. I was about 40 yards away and all I could do was watch them as they worked a couple of the scrapes and then walked past me along the edge of the field. My stand was only 10 yards inside the woods but by the time they came down by me, all I could see was dark forms. Next time I'll move 20 yards closer to the scraps and see what happens.

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i watched a big buck rubbing a tree friday night,when he walked off he had his tail straight out,like he was feeling it.sunday morning watched a buck chasing another buck,something up.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the bucks are still in bachelor groups here, but i'm seeing a lot of tree rubs. they start out rubbing their velvet off on them and later use them for rutting purposes. i've seen the makings of a few scrapes. they'll be starting really soon.

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I haven't seen too much sign of rut here yet...found a sapling bent over and broke off, and several good rubs. Older bucks are still running in pairs, but starting to show some interest in the does. Saw a couple of 8 pointers dogging some does in a bean field the other day. I can't help but think that the heat is holding things back, the woods are still really green, very few trees are starting to turn, the lack of rain can't help either. But it won't be long....