Early Rut?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 4, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone else seen a buck with its nose to the ground? 3 times now in last week the wife and I have seen a buck with its nose to the ground.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I would imagine a deer of either sex would sniff the ground from time to time, for any number of reasons...it might be rut related, and might not.

Since deer as we know them are products of thousands of years of evolutionary influences, it's reasonable to conclude that the timing of the rut is critical to reproductive success, and that it doesn't vary in response to transient pressures, but rather, long term means. I'm very skeptical of claims of early or late ruts. Second or third ruts are another issue, and are tied to buck:doe ratios.

An early rut would result in early birthing of fawns, at a time when severe weather could threaten their survival, directly by simply freezing to death, and indirectly through the non-availability of the high quality forage needed by does to successfully nurse their fawns to maturity.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Haven't seen any actually chasing ,but we did a walk around Sunday to set some Trail cams and the Rubs were fresh fresh and they were chewing limbs everywhere. Even ran into two small scrapes.
    Generally the youngins get the feeling early.... ya remember how it was..
    But we havent seen the Boy bands for a couple weeks. I am thinking they have spread out and are doing their thing.
    50 degrees at Night might be putting them in the Mood.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Ah, maybe they are hungry for some grass? LOL

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't even seen bucks the last two and a half weeks. Only multiple does with two fawns. Those have been in my apple orchard. The bucks probably are getting ready for deer season too. Finding the caves they are going to hide in.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well maybe two of them were but one was going down a gravel road with nose to ground. So unless he needed some gravel for his gizzard I doubt it. :eek:oooh:

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    there are exceptions to every rule i usually dont see any rut activity at all until october.but i have seen some things that dont make any sense, several years back i watched a large buck chasing does very agresively it was september 15th had i not seen it happen i would thought it impossible.last year while taking my son to a soccer practice i noticed a very large buck standing in a power line cut when i turned around to get a better look i noticed he was acting very much like a buck on the prowl for a doe it was mid september .while it clearly not time to rut it seems every once in awhile they go through the motions anyway?

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeff: He was 18 years old. It was prom night and he already had a culpa beers.

9. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Bucks will chase does as soon as their testosterone levels start to climb....the bucks are always ready lonnnngggg before the does are. The does dictate the rut not the bucks. The does are triggered by photoperiodicity. When the hours of darkness are longer than the hours of daylight she starts becoming broody. A really good indicator that the rut is about to happen is when ya start seeing a lot of button heads traveling in pairs or by themselves. The does will run the buck fawns off when she is getting close to breeding. Normally at this time the bigger bucks are on the prowl day and night looking for hot does. Cold temps do not govern when the rut will be. If it is cold we will see more daylight activity. When it is warm they will be waiting until the cooler hours of night. The breeding is goin on at approx. the same time every year regardless.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Precious memories, John?:wink:

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    One buck that my mom has starts checkin the does as soon as he sheds his velvet each year.

12. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    john, now that theres funny i dont care who you are.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Yup, I missed the prom, but made the rut , and then she upped and married my butt; ergo fishing and hunting.