Early rut signs

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by psychomekanik, Oct 16, 2008.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know it's early in the season. But, I was wandering if anyone has been seeing signs of an early rut. Before season opened I scouted and found a few areas with some buck sign. A few rubs, and some scrapes. The early rubs are normal, they use them to rub off the velvet. But, I've been finding (in isolated areas) trees that are rubbed white and some are either broke in half, or ripped out of the ground. The scrapes I found were used regular and had tons of activity in them. Also I had a few does walk by me, and a few minutes later a small 6 point buck followed them. The little buck was clicking. That's a long drawn out grunt that actually sounds like a clicking noise. I've only seen this with bucks following hot does. Today was the coldest day of the year so far. It's been really warm. So, cool weather has'nt been a factor in triggering them. I've never seen so many signs of pre-rut in the beginning of the season. around here it usually starts about the middle to end of october, with the height of the rut taking place in mid november. From what I'm seeing. The rut looks like it's gonna be in full swing by the first of november. I've been deer hunting for 20 years, and I've never seen the rut progress like it has this year. Has anyone else been seeing early sign???

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know if does would be in heat yet in your area ...you have been at it for 20 yrs. This might be younger bucks that have been pushed into new areas . Just a thought I have no facts to base it on but on occasion I have noticed this from bucks establishing new territory .

3. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Same here, I believe its gonna be the last of oct. 1st november. Seeing alot of aggresive activity with the bucks. Have not seen any chasing does but i aint been out but a handful of times. I think around my area bowhunters are gonna get in on the best part of the rut. Gun season start the 15 of nov. just my two cents

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I believe that the rut is triggered by the amount of light in the day. It is so the fawns are born at the best time in the spring. I bet that the cooler weather has been getting the deer a lot more active. So I bet that the rut around here will be about the same time, Mid Nov

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The bucks start runnin` wild around Halloween in southwestern Pennsylvania and so far it seems to be the case again this year. I haven`t been out a lot but those who have are reporting average buck activity.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't think the does are in heat yet. As they are still running in "family" groups. as the rut progresses they'll seperate. But the sign I'm seeing from the bucks is telling me these boys will be ready AS SOON as the does are willing to cooperate.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I saw a real nice buck on wednesday getting friendly with a group of doe. I think they're starting to chase here in pa.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it was in north american whitetail magazine but i read that here in the midwest there are bands of does that COME IN earlier than the rest of the heard. They said that they usually came in to estrus in mid OCTOBER where the rest wait til closer to November. I too have seen several scrapes and my buddy saw a couple bucks go at it hard core on the 16th and he shot two does today both of which wer starting to have that CERTAIN SMELL to them.

9. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It is possible that some does will come into heat now but the action really picks up in southwestern Pa around Halloween , it has always been that way. If you rattle and they come stormin` in , IT`S TIME !!!

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Saturday the 18 me and my buddy wer driving around late one night just seeing what deer we could see and if there are any big bucks around our hunting ground. We saw one that we agreed was at least a 160 class buck and he was with a doe in a cut corn field and wouldnt let her out of his sight less than a mile away we saw a small 8 pointer chasing a doe hard core. We turned to go back to watch the 160 class more and noticed that he and another buck wer getting ready to fight, they stopped and watched us instead but once we wer noticed we moved on trying not to run them out of the country. On our way home we spotted a 130 class ten pointer that had a doe bedded down in a filter strip next to a cut bean field, i dont what flipped the switch on these few does but it flipped in a heartbeat. Hope you guys get pumped about this as much as i do, anyway just thought i would report the good news.

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've only been out a handful of times so far but the bucks around here are still in loose bachelor groups. Does are still running in their social circles as well. Seen a little bit of chasing going on, but it's been by younger bucks; and nothing out of the ordinary.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Seems kind of early, but weather patterns might set it off before you are ready.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Been out a couple times scouting. Seen the usual signs of rubs and a few scrapes. Haven't seen any bucks chasing does in this area yet, but usaully around the first and second week in November everything is on fire.

According to the Farmers Almanac, this is supposed to be a harsh WINTER, so maybe this is affecting the deer patterns to happen earlier this fall. Not sure.

14. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

I hunted a few times this weekend and saw some on the same activity you are talking about. I found several fresh scrapes and had a small buck pushing a doe around a little bit. A buddy of mine hunted last night and said he had a nice 10 pt make a scrape right behind him and then he came out into the field and started checking does. Its early and usually the smaller bucks get a little ancious before the big bucks do. I would say with in a couple weeks it will be on here in MO.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    We had our first frost this morning. thatll help get them moving.

16. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    With all the rain and decent weather this past spring and summer, there is an abundant crop of white oak and post oak acorns in the woods this year. Finding very few tracks in the food plot so far. Checking further back into the woods around another tree stand, I can't find any signs of rubs or scrapes that there has been for the past several years.

I am seeing lots of does and fawns along the roadways about sunset. So far have only seen one buck.

Have been told by the game warden that once we get a frost and the acorns start souring that the deer will be on the move for forage again. We also have a bumper crop of persimmons. Have 5 trees right around the house where the limbs are really loaded and hanging from all the weight. Picked up close to 3 gallons that had already fallen on the ground on Friday and dumped down in the food plot.

Season here will open on 8 November this year. A week earlier than previous years.

17. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have not been hunten as long as u have, but i was thinken early rut. i have seen several active scrapes were i hunt and some rubes. heard 2 loud gruunts and some bleats friday night.. saw a monster running the river that runs threw the property i lease. goen 2marro night 2 try 2 bust 1.

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    can't even get out over here in east missouri the skeeters are so bad.Waiting for the first frost.

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya but I am feeling the itch:eek:oooh: bad!!! I just want to get out and hunt. With school and my son this has been a bad year for hunting. But I will tell you that I will not miss this weekend. It sounds like the weather will be great.

20. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Weve had 2 frost in WV in the eastern pandhandle already. I hope to get out tomorrow evening.