Early retirement

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Jan 29, 2010.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Well my plant where i have worked for 33 yrs is going to be shut down in 10 months.I found out yesterday and we brought the EE's in today to anounce it to them.

I started there as a utility worker and moved up to Asst plant mananger.
    Although it was a big shock at first but after the offer they gave me to retire early at (53yrs) old and bump me up another 2 yrs,and the severance package and all my ESOP and 401 stock I must say I will come out pretty good.

I most likley will take their offer But I do have a few months to decide to retire or to move to another plant somewhere.
    We have 22 plant across the US and Can.

After the wheels stop turning in Dec I will stay on to prepair for equip to be removed and then the demo of the building.This could take up to a yr to finish.So I still have about 1.5 - 2 yrs then will be on R&R.

It will be hard to see that old girl come down.I have a lot of hard work in there.This plant as stood for 125 yrs.

I I'm sorry to say that i might not make many gathering's or the lead pour this yr due to everything happening at work.It's going to keep me very bis until we shut down.Lots of weekend work getting things in order.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Sorry to hear that tom. I mean early retirement is cool, and I hope I can do it, but it sucks when your almost forced to do it. So are they totally demolishing the plant?

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good luck on the retirement Tom. Ya still need to get your relaxation in between now and then. Hope to be seeing you soon.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yep everything come's down.Its 7 story tall plus all the elevators, warehouse, pack area, bulk area and about 1/4 mile of railroad tracks will need to be taken out also.

It will be contracted out for a cost of around 2 millon.

5. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Sorry about the job, but early retirment sounds good to me, I'll be working in my 70"s

6. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Just saw the plant was shutting down on the news and instantly thought of you Tom . Its unfortunate that another employer in the Topeka area is going away but times are a changing. Hope you still make time to do some fishing and other things that you enjoy.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sorry to hear about the plant closing down. Retirement is not that bad at least that is what the old man tells me.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sorry to hear that Tom. The bright side is it sounds like they are gonna treat you pretty well. That says something about a company. I have heard a few times about other places where people come into work to find the doors chained shut.

33 years in the same place is something to be proud of. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise. You have served your time and done it the right way, it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. I always wanted to open a bait shop when I was done working.... Only thing is, you can't fish when you are running a dang bait shop all day. Good luck Tom.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom congrats on your pending retirement. Even though one is never ready to turn loose of a good job and routine. It sounds like they have and are taking care of you. Good luck. Retirement is great.

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    man that sucks to hear Tom.its good to hear that you will be compensated pretty good at least.
    keep your head up and before too long you'll be doing cartwheels because you dont have anything else to do BUT fish!

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Guys....But please dont fill sorry for me they have done me a favor...

I will fish alot for sure but,I have a few things I have alwas wanted to try so I will be checking on that also.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I bet that will be hard to watch her come down. Id say that it is a blessing in disguise. Your still in good enough shape to enjoy the time off.
    Hopefully you can find some time to sneak away to the gatherings. We'd miss ya.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds great Tom, more to life than work. Just because you won't be working there don't mean you can't go find a "play" job to keep you out of the wife's hair.

I say congrats and hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors for years to come!!!

14. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    That would be me Jay. I haven't worked since February 2009 and because of health and age I doubt if I ever will work again.

Tom the Delaware is not that far away. My son's home now. I hope we can get together alot more when you have the time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  15. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Hell Tom, maybe you'll get a chance to see what its like to stay up past 8:30, and sleep in past 5:00:laugh1:
    Change usually sounds tougher than what it is, and at least you're fortunate enough to work for a company that cares. Whatever happens I hope it works in your best interest.

16. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Retired at 50 and cant complain at all. Was in my plans to do that and I did it. Let me tell you semms like I had more time when I was working lol.

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sounds like this could be a good thing for you 33 yrs is a long time on one job.Good luck whatever you do especially if its fishing.

18. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry about the way it happened, but the outcome could well be a boon to you especially it you have a plan B. I racked up a lot of frequent flyer miles between here and Washington DC as a babysitter for my grandson. lol Best wishes in whatever you decide. Stay safe and remember about retirement, you're old enough to appreciate it and young enough to enjoy it!!!:flag:

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan

Maybe I can learn how to eat breakfast at 11am..:freaked-out:...I need to talk to Jim:tongue1:

20. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just think about all those fish'n holes you never had time for that you'll get to try now. I always pictured myself retiring as one of those old men you see fishing on the river bank. Hope that pans out.

Don't over do it on this last run,Tom. We all want to see you on that river bank next year.:cool: