Early Morning vs. Night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Aug 5, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I know practically everyone says that night time is best for flatheads. I've fished quite a bit at night this year and have'nt caught anything. The past 2 weeks I've pulled a late nighter at 2 separate spots and caught nothing. I fished the same exact spots in the early AM and the bite was ON! What do y'all think? :0a36:

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    my best fishing has been early a.m. thats goes for almost all species i've fished for

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I mostly fish nights. I know a lot of folks say the early morning hours are great, but the few times I have held on all night and fished through dawn - I got nothing for it.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    what may be happening is your fishing where the flats spend their days.flatheads have spots where they hold up in the day time and if you fishing there you catch them just at dark and again in the morning when they return.fishing the shallow water close to these spots you get bites all threw the nite cause thats where they feed.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You can catch lotso flathead in the daytime! You are going to need to seek more cover. However you seemed to find them out hunting in the morning the other day so they may not be on an exact day/night schedule. Make several smaller trips and feel it out. When thier not out hunting they are sitting under/behind cover ready to pounce on something that comes by so you need that kind of spot.

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    early am is good because the fish that have not fed or got a good meal in during the night are on the look out for a good meal before they head back to cover.

caught a 82 at 5 am ,and a 61 at 8 :30 am

but i have caught good ones just as sun is going down so i love to fish all night long when i go .

if you cant do that i would hit it as early as you can until 10 am

then its back to structure and very tight to it.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    around 2 or 3 am, never before 11, nothing out around the pm,unless your in cover

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the morning bite. when it is still dark, and the birds start chirping for the first signs of day, that is a fav. for me... rollo

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've never fished in the morning. I reserve that for bass fishing:smile2: I don't really enjoy getting up early, after all that's why I fish for flatheads:wink:

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    LOL:smile2: I'm not a morning person either BY FAR but after getting skunked at night at least a dozen times this year I had to try something different. And so far my last 2 day-break outtings have been super. I'm sure though it won't be long before I'm back out there swatting mosquitoes til 2am again.:wink:

11. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I like to fish for flatties at night. Most activity I have seen is around 10-2 am then again at day break just as the sun starts to peak. This one in my pic was at 11 p.m.

AJ

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really enjoy the all nighter!!! But if I HAD to choose, I would go with predawn (1 hour before sunup) until around 0900.

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I dont have alot of experience with the flathead, but for the last two years targeting them I prefer to head out in the evening find the likely areas then fish till about 2am, I have pulled all nighters and from 2-4 am I havent got a single bite from anything. 4-8am is alright. But like the other fellas, I am not a early morning person. Just my .02 . :big_smile:

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I enjoy fishing until i doze off and be woke up by bells or clicking, generally about 3 am. I believe the 4 to 6 am is good also.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    depends on the time of year.but they can be caught any time of the day.i like the evening and also early morning.

16. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yep, could be where u r fishin. i fish the deep holes by cover at night and have caught the bulk of my flattys doing so.

17. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I think it has a lot to do with where you are fishing. If you put it in front of a hungry flatty- he will eat. Caught a 53 lb flatty at 11:30 am and 90 degrees, heavy cover. I have caught more in the early am and pre-dawn time than at night.

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    There is a few factors that have come into play resently in my fishing location besides just me fishing in the early AM. Like, The river has been anywhere from 24-40 ft. all summer and just last week dropped down into the low teens. Also, I happened upon some fish by chance with a bad cast which put me only about 20-25 feet off the bank. In the past I normally tried to sling out real far. Another possibility that I considered is that during the AM hours I don't drench myself in mosquito spray which I've read can cause fish to pass your bait up. And perhaps praying before I cast out helped out too :wink:

19. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    We fish for flathead alot, and have found that you can catch them about anytime. I've caught them in the mourning, the evening, and all though the night. I have found that in the lake that we fish, the most have came an hour or so before dark, around midnight til 2 in the mourning, and an hour or 2 after daylight. My biggest 1 came right before dark.

We love to fish all night everytime we go. There has been time when we catch them in the evening and then nothing for the rest of the trip. But, there also have been times when we have sat there all night long without even the slightest nibble, then after sunrise the bite just explodes!
    So, my opinion, would be to just have fun, sit back and relax. Wait it out because you never really know!

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am particularly fond of the hours of (9 pm - 12 am).......and (4 am-6 am):crazy: