Early May a good time for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by satownsend, Jan 29, 2010.

1. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    Hi guys. I've never tried to catch any flatheads but I'm looking to catch some this year. My dad and I are both going to have some time off the first or second week of May and are thinking of hitting up the Allegheny. Would that be a decent time to target flatheads? We'd probably go near Kittanning since my dad has fished there before. Any tips or anything will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Yeah,they,re moving around then Scott.Good time of the year for some nice big lively bait.

3. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    Awesome. We'll probably try to catch some bullheads to use for the trip. Now I just need winter to end! Thanks a bunch.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    once the water temps are around 60* the fish should be movin around better, all depends on the temps in april, last year was a crappy april and the rivers didn't pic up til closer to end of may. just hope for a early spring

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The allegheny probably runs a bit colder than the rest too. It always seems like it's the last to get going.

6. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    I see. I think either way we'll head up there and give it a go. Another question I have is how big of a weight am I going to need to hold down a bullhead? I guess I'm going to use whatever size bullheads we can use.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

3-4 ozs will hold em down just fine,how much more you,ll need depends on how much current your fishing in.For fishing the Allegheny around Pittsburgh,I usually use anywhere from 6-12ozs.

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    At the same time, you get a little excessive! I have used 3oz before fishing from the wall at HPD and have held fine. I have never thrown more than 8, and even then it is with HUGE bluegill (on that 9ft H US Bigwater I have!). I always use the least amount of weight I can, that allows the bait to stay!

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Like Jay said, the All. is the last major river to warm up in the spring because the water is coming from Kinzua. Seems like usually its about 3 weeks or so behind the Mon. Kittaning area is good for flats, some of my best spots are right in that area. Good luck.

10. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    Thanks guys. I'll be sure to keep all of this stuff in mind.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

About if the flatheads bite is good in May all depends on the water temperature. The water could be 50 degrees in June and it might not be as good if the water temp was 60 degrees in April.

And on the bull heads, just my experience that I have not ever caught or seen a flathead caught on a bullhead in the spring. They are summer and fall baits.:handshake:

12. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    would have to agree with tan on the bullheads i'v only used them a handfull of times and it was in the summer, and i only had one good run. there's alot of other baits that are easier to catch and to use. a basic rule of thumb is once the water get's up to 60 and stays there it's game on. so hopefully this spring will be better than last year and it get's warm fast. tight lines justin

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

LOL Yeah Mike,I guess you can tell I get my lead for free!I may just put a tad extra on to anchor them down,most of my poles cast better with 6 and up too.:wink:

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm not from Pitts burgh but my advice would be try some bluegills or shad in spring Good Luck to you!!

15. satownsend

satownsend New Member

State:
    Portage PA
    Okay. Thanks once again for all the info guys. This forum is great.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in the spring i use smaller baits, 3-4 inch sunnies have worked the best for me and also sunny heads, once mid summer rolls in then i beef up the baits a little and also go with more slender bait ( 6-8 inch chubs or suckers) thats also when small bullheads would be good.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  17. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I agree with Lenny except I use trout whenever I can, spring or summer. Live or cut.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The Allegheny River definetely runs colder than the other rivers in Pa. The Flathead bite is weeks behind the rest of the state. Early May all depends on the water temp.! I've done well in early May and have had poor results also, all depends on that crucial water temp. I recommend fishing the dams in May. The Flatties seem to be there more than the downstream areas early on!

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The Allegheny River definetely runs colder than the other rivers in Pa. The Flathead bite is weeks behind the rest of the state. Early May all depends on the water temp.! I've done well in early May and have had poor results also, all depends on that crucial water temp. I recommend fishing the dams in May. The Flatties seem to be there more than the downstream areas early on!

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

What he said....try and find a website to find current water temp in that area... I would say if the temps are still in the 50's bring a mixed bag of bait. Not sure about your area but around here they will hit the bait that's easy to catch because they are still somewhat sluggish after the winter, so if you run live bait keep your leader line pretty short.

Good luck!