Early flathead catfishing season help

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by LouisvilleCatChaser84, Feb 7, 2006.

1. LouisvilleCatChaser84

LouisvilleCatChaser84 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey everybody,
    wondering if i could get tips on early season flatheads. What month should they really start feeding after the winter months, because they're pretty much lethargic and slow in winter. I know cutbait works well in cooler water temps rather than warm water temps like summer when big live baits work best. Any tips on depth, location, or anything would be a big help, thanx.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    LCC84, I usually start catching flatties around the end of march. They tend to turn on best in May and Early June though. I prefer live Bluegill, but have also been as productive on live and fresh killed shad, mostly whole. Vern

3. LouisvilleCatChaser84

LouisvilleCatChaser84 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had somewhat the idea, i've caught flatties as early as late februrary some years, but usuall mid-late spring they turn on real good. My grandparents live in bedford off highway 44 i think. My grandfather showed me a sandbar out by carollton that him and his old friend caught a 62 lb flathead out of. It was in the paper up there or somthing. Anyway, thanx for the tips and good luck this season.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jordan, what is your grandfather's name? Most likely I will know him. the highway is either 42 or 421. I live a couple miles out of Bedford off of 421 a couple of miles. Also my mother works for the local paper here so she might remember the picture. Vern

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    LouisvilleCatChaser84

Most here including me would/should say when the water temps are above 55 degrees. I'm guessin that your some what asking about the Ohio River.

http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/navtemp.html

The above link should help you out if you keep it on your "favorites" list on your PC. That and find the one for water levels helps a bunch too so you can plan a bit better Louis.

Fresh cut Shad or Skipjack is real REAL hard to beat from what I've seen on the Ohio up here in NE Ohio. If using cut bait plz don't be fooled by the pecking/ lite bite that you may/WILL see at times for they are most of the time IT IS BIG Flatheads!!

Wing Dams, etc and SNAG CITY type structure is whats worked best for me. Sand bars can be good and EASY TO fish. Alot don't like all the snags but again from what little I've seen its much better IN THE SNAGS!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Southern Ohio, I dont attempt to target flatheads untill mid april..They can be caught before that, but the action is very slow.

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Guys,
    Seems like a pretty Narrow window between the start up of flathead activity. 50-55 F to spawn temps 66-75F
    What Temps are you seeing the best action before the spawn?

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Larry

I think the 66 spawn temp you posted is a little low from what I've read and seen.

Water temps of 60 up to the spawn is what I'd say for great action!!

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, id rather chase stuff thats active anyways and just wait. i'd have to say between 65-75 degrees is best.

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Baitkiller, Dinkbuster,
    I'm inclined to agree with you two. I thought that it was a pretty low temp myself
    I read that in one of Suttons books, He is probably making a statement towards the extreme and not the Norm.
    Thanks
    Larry

11. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I have seen here on the Ohio that around 55 der they start biting a little. The smaller fish seem to start becoming active first then the bigger ones will follow later as the water hits about 60 deg. That's just what I have seen.

12. Skipjack73

Skipjack73 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey fella's. I fish the Ohio River between Lawrenceburg IN and Cincinnati OH. I typically start fishing for Flatties around the 2nd week of March and do pretty good as far as size goes.My biggest(a 69lb. monster) was caught on April 5th at 10:00 at night.The water was 52 degrees! I do catch more numbers of fish when the water gets up over 60,but it seems like all my bigger flats have been from cooler water whether its early spring or late fall.Sure the action's a little slow but when you get a trophy its worth the frostbite and the wait.Good fishing:cool: