Early Fish Or Late Fish???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With the water temps starting to soar! I will change my early evening tactics to one to target fish more from late to morning now. I have always had good luck with the morning bite for flatheads, but I really like it this time of the year!! Good luck ...rollo

2. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    on the muskingum where i fish it's midnight and later before the first run always
    other places i have it down to a science of 10:00 PM to 11:30 PM THEN 1:00 AND ON thats where my bite has soared on the river we have had decent acrion till 8:00 AM that my friend in McDonalds territory
    LOL

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm gonna take your suggestion, Rollo! Instead of fishing the usual 8PM to 2AM, I will go to sleep wake up and try to get my lines out by 2AM and fish until 8AM.

I'm having a crappiest year of my flathunting career and the way things have gone for me this year, it can't hurt to try something different! Trial and error, experimentation, and doing things different is what flathead hunting is all about!

Reps for this post!:cool2:

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like the early morning bite also.water temps seem to cool off at least a little and help the fishing out imo.

but anytime that i can get out and just enjoy the outdoors is a great day for me.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey thanks for the info!! may have to try that here when it gets that hot!! thanks man , shane

6. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    all of my flatheads this year so far( with an exception of one) have been caught round 5-7 PM. right in the heat! so idk, im sticking to that time period:wink:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just go from around 6:00 PM till about 10:30 AM and you should be all set!

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will be on the Ohio this weekend.. Let ya know how the bite went....rollo

9. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    There is never a bad time to be fishing! The bite is just a bonus. I have been fishing the Ohio river from 8 p.m. - 2:00 a.m. The bite has been relatively inconsistent. I think the little storm we got here in Cincinnati last night might stir things up a bit. We have been using all different kinds of baits: live stuff, cut, even craw dads (channels and smallmout love 'em). The blues, flats, and channels are all active it's just a matter of patience. Keep me posted on what times are working for you guys. I'll never shoot down a good tip.

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    All our fish bit sometime after we went to sleep... about 3 am.... Damn I hate it when I fall asleep.

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    most of the bigger fish that I've caught have come early early morning after 3 am so I'm wit ya on that but I do have a question for you. with the temp rising will the flatties move to shallows to feed? say I know where the sand bars are out in the river and it's only about 2 ft deep. would that be a prime spot or should I still stay with a little deeper water until it get further into the summer months?

12. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    my best times have been around 5 am till 8-9 am , i'll stick to that time i always thought the fish were sleeping the rest of the night, just like we should be lol

13. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Jason, I've been having great success this year day and night by setting up close to structure. Some of the mid-day flats have been caught by placing baits on the up current side and TIGHT to the SHALLOW structure (8' and less). I get snagged often, but I've been getting the fish!

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    If you really want to know.. set up on the edge of one and fish both sides... especially if you can find some structure.