Early evening river rescue

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, the infamous Peglegreb was up to his usual shenanigans today. Right before dark, he called me broke down about 30 minutes downstream from Blue's landing. I proceeded to catch bait for my daylight trip in the morning! :) Apparently he and his girlfriend were joy riding at the river. He hit a rock and broke the shear pin in his ancient 82 Mercury. Naturally, he had shorts on, NO spare shear pin, No light, and No thermacell. I new it would be a risky recovery due to the LOW river condition, so I continued to catch bait as I pondered the recovery efforts. As soon as I had enough bait for tomorrow, I rolled off towards the river. I got to him right at dark and tied him to the stern of my boat, and headed back up stream. There was a lot of 18 inch water to navigate to get back up, and you have to know exactly where that 18 inch water is or you ain't gonna make it. We had NO problems getting back, other than my same era as Peg's boat, spotlight, quit on me! :smile2: Fortunately we were only two turns from the landing by then, and there were no obstacles in the way. Had I lost my light two turns before that, we would have had to wait until the moon came up at about 2 a.m.! Heck, he was stranded right where me and Dewayne are fishing in the morning!!!!!! I'll be right back there shortly after daybreak, and will report in tomorrow afternoon, hopefully with some nice fish to post! :wink:
    Bill in SC

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Always good to have friends that will help ya out when you need it :cool2:.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah, he'd have done the same for me, for sure.
    BB in SC

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a good story to remind people of the hazards of joy riding!!:smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Unfortunately, Peg did not shear a pin, but broke a shaft in his lower unit. I hate it, but hopefully he can get something worked out before the Sept BOC gathering at the Santee.
    Bill in SC