Early channels cats on small rivers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 20, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    :) This wil be my little tidbit for today:

Channel cats in small rivers are more likely to become active before those in large rivers. Warming tributaries will draw some from their winther holes in larger rivers.
    Once cats begin to move they become attracted to warmer water(of course) where food is plentiful. They shy from heavy current in favor of eddies just removed from the main channel. They often gather in barrier areas as the move upriver to a tributary.

barrier areas provide natural obstructions to catfish migration. Shallow riffles, and downed timber, backsides of large sandbars and any large eddies. In small rivers they are attracted to feeder creeks somtimes going up those creeks or at least holding in the mouth. They also tend to go up current, not down. I guess the point is the most anglers will miss the beginning of a season. During the transition from winter to spring, fishing can be slow at best. But if you watch weather patterns and explore area keeping the above in mind you'll find channel cats well before everyone else's season begins.

... Maybe this is what I will do to cure that cabin fever.
    _ Nick

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i know that around here theres a small river called the Stillwater. And basically the channels will hit year around, i have pics of my buddy Luke's dad fishing last year during that bad snow storm before christmas with 10 channel cats.

3. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sangamoncatkiller
    If you don't mind ma asking what section of the sangamon do you fish? I have fished the sagamon for well over 40 years.Using rod and reel,trotline,bank poles,and commercial fished with hoop nets for 20 or more years.Anyway this is my first post here. Just thought I would say hello.

4. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    I mainly fish the counties of piatt and some of macon county. There are definitely big flattys in this river. Have you had any luck with them in the sangamon ?

5. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Wendell! Tell us a little more about yourself, where in Illinois do you live? Where do you mainly fish now? etc.

6. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Hey chuck, how have you been. We will have to see if we can go fishing together this year.

7. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Many in the 20 to 40# range my biggest was 53#.

8. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi Chuck.
    Still fish the sangamon alot certain times of the year.I built a cabin there 20 years ago.Do fish the lakes along the illinois river during may. A couple of weeks a year trot lining at clinton lake.In the dog days of summer I still do a little hogging for flats and channels.Nothing like reaching into a log to find a big cat then work your hand into its mouth.Then getting him out and into the boat. I live in logan county.

9. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Hey Nick hows it goin? I have been watching you post but sometimes its hard to keep up lol. I am really starting to get the itch now. I had a great fall fishing up into November and haven't been since.:crying: Hey Wendell thanks for the input, I am always interested in what old geezers like me are up to. Nick we will have to try and get together this spring and I will show you some real hogs ;)

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois